Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco EPC2425 - frequent disconnects, connection timed out

Hello,
    I'm having a potential problem with Cisco EPC2425 Wireless modem/router.

Now to tell the whole story...

Two nights ago my modem went crazy and lights start flashing like UFO, instead of all the lights being turned on like it's supposed to be and i lost internet connection. Since then, my internet just won't be steady and fast like it used to be. I keep loosing connection. Every software (msn, skype..etc), game (online games like Final Fantasy, Aion), keep disconnecting (every several minutes), websites either wont open at all (connection timed out) or open very slowly, cannot download anything (thru firefox or IE), my connection is just not stable anymore.

Now this happends on my PC and Laptop. Pc (windows 7) is connected with cable and laptop (vista) is wireless.

I never had problems like this before.

When checking my connection status and clicking Diagnose message says:
    "Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding" (on windows 7)

"Cannot communicate with DNS server" (on vista)

My ISP answer of course is that everything is fine on their end that signal to my modem is all good.

Tried pinging my IPS's dns servers, along with google and others (with ping google.com /t), i can hardly ever ping my ISP dns servers, when pinging google, most of them get thru fine, but every now and then time goes above 120ms and shortly after that i get a few timeouts (usually the same time range as when disconnection on my other software), then back to successfull pings.

Now the steps that i have done to try and fix that (along with contacting my ISP several times during the day):

1) Reboot modem (power cable out and back in after 5-10min) - tried dozen times
    2) Reboot my PC and Laptop dozen times
    3) Clear dns cache + ipconfig /renew
    4) Try different cables (for PC)
    5) Tried only having connected PC or Laptop at same time
    6) Removing all connections on PC and Laptop, creating them again (had static Ip's set up but removed them all)
    7) Reboot modem EMTA

Am I really doing all this for nothing, could it be ISP problem?

O hope i was clear enough with my problem.

Now i'm really out of ideas, and would appritiate any advices that you people are willing to share

Thank you.

Re: Cisco EPC2425 - frequent disconnects, connection timed out

sounds like it could be a hardware problem
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi...

I'm going to say that your router has a hung process or it's experienced a power surge based on your description (I saw that you mentioned lights on the device were flashing like a "UFO") which "could have caused a hung process to occur." If your pages are loading slow (or not at all) you may want to check DNS settings on your CISCO and on on your local machine. So, have you tried a "soft reset" yet (holding the reset button down for 5 - 10 seconds)?

At any rate, if you have any specific settings you want to keep (i.e., port forwarding, vpn tunnels if that model is capable of that), write it down and do a factory default of your device. "If" something dramatic has occurred, you need to see if your device responds from a default configuration (in my opinion).

Give that a try and see if you still notice the same sluggishness in its performance... If so, it could definitely be hardware; if the issue clears up, consider yourself lucky and keep pressing!

Jay

Jay Johnson
      Certified: CCNA, Security+, Network+, Server+, I.T. Project+
      Last edited by jay.johnson; 8th November 2010, 03:50.

Comment

Originally posted by jay.johnson View Post
        Hi...

I'm going to say that your router has a hung process or it's experienced a power surge based on your description (I saw that you mentioned lights on the device were flashing like a "UFO") which "could have caused a hung process to occur." If your pages are loading slow (or not at all) you may want to check DNS settings on your CISCO and on on your local machine. So, have you tried a "soft reset" yet (holding the reset button down for 5 - 10 seconds)?

At any rate, if you have any specific settings you want to keep (i.e., port forwarding, vpn tunnels if that model is capable of that), write it down and do a factory default of your device. "If" something dramatic has occurred, you need to see if your device responds from a default configuration (in my opinion).

Give that a try and see if you still notice the same sluggishness in its performance... If so, it could definitely be hardware; if the issue clears up, consider yourself lucky and keep pressing!

Jay

Jay Johnson
        Certified: CCNA, Security+, Network+, Server+, I.T. Project+
        Thx for the advice.
        I actually tried both soft reset (Reboot modem EMTA i mentioned before), and yesterday did factory default reset (made backup of my config before just in case ) and even after going back to default settings, same problems occured.

The only thing i ever did change on router was port forwarding. I never changed DNS settings on my own. While i had static IP's set up, DNS servers were in my network connections but I've removed all that too and keeping it on automatic.

To possibly remove the spyware/adware/virus as potential problem i formatted both my PC and Laptop....and also my neighbour brought his old winXP pc (we use the same provider too) to try it out....still the same.

After few more calls to ISP, they finally decided to send someone over today to check it out...now I'm really hoping it's router hardware problem because if not, I am really out of ideas

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks again for advices.
          Had a visit from ISP maintenance guy yesterday evening and after he did everything what I already tried, nothing helped and I got a new router
          Everything works great now.

Thanks again for reading and trying to help.

Comment

Working...
          X