router --> switch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• router --> switch?

hey, if i have lets say a 5 port router that u can pick up...anywhere for 30$, internet comes in, goes out to the other 4 ports, is the router only going to have 4 addresses to assign? or can i put switches or hubs on each port and attatch computers to all available ports and still expect to use the internet all at the same time? and i really dont feel like having to go thru ICS and stuff i'd rather just plug and go...or is none of this possible/.

Re: router --> switch?

Yes it is possible though I would suggest getting one switch large enough to support all the devices you want to connect to the Internet/network. ie If you have 10 PCs then get a 16 port switch and not 3 x 5 port ones. 2 x 5 ports won't work as you need 1 port for router and 1 port on each switch for uplinking the switches. That also makes for extra power packs. Messy!
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

also - as you've spotted some of the good budget routers are coming in with adsl and 4 ports .. do what biggles suggests ..

adsl -> router -> (bigger) switch -> devices. Important thing here is to only use one connection router/hub to switch - if you link a second line (because logically you'd expect it to give better throughput) between (bigger) switch and router, you may have a problem called spanning tree.

(If you want some really boring bedtime reading, spanning tree takes some beating). More expensive kit sorts out spanning tree - cheaper kit doesnt.

Also - I wouldnt do this anyway - I would use ICS - reason is that the lower cost router will do a good job handling a few conversation streams inside the network, but hasnt been designed to handle multiple ones. You may get away with it, but you may find a serious bottleneck between the router and all the PC devices

Comment

Originally posted by mikemcsharry
        Also - I wouldnt do this anyway - I would use ICS - reason is that the lower cost router will do a good job handling a few conversation streams inside the network, but hasnt been designed to handle multiple ones. You may get away with it, but you may find a serious bottleneck between the router and all the PC devices
        i have never had good luck setting up ICS...I've heard people have problems with PPP and such...As of now I don't care about speed as much as just making it work...what i also need to confirm is setup...what type of cable(straight thru/crossover) between router and switches...I plan on getting a 4 or 5 port + internet port router, I have a few 24 port switches, but only plan on setting up one in my room and the other 3 ports on the router will go directly to ocmputers in other rooms upstairs. so it would so far be setup like this..

internet port --> dsl modem
        port 1 --> computer in that room
        port 2 --> other computer upstairs
        port 3 --> other computer in basement
        port 4 --> switch in my room

what type cable do i need to setup between each device

the switches also have uplink ports that i can choose which type of media is connectin that port...as much help as i can get is appreciated...thanks

Comment

Then there is the other option!

Get a wireless ap/router such as the draytek v2600G and it will do everything you need in one box. OK, you will have to add the cost of the w/nic's for the pc's but you won't ever have the problem of running out of ports. Plus you don't have to go near ICS as the draytek is a dchp server, anyone on the network issued an ip will automatically use the router as the gateway!

Just my two cents mate

Dean

Comment

All of the solutions will work fine! As to the original question of IP addresses- The router you install should have NAT which will allow you up to 254 private IP addresses, connect a switch on the private side of the router.

If you need public/static IP addresses you will get these from your ISP. Normally you can get a block of 5 public IP's with no problems. If you are setting up a residential service you probably will have DHCP public IP address, then use a DHCP service like www.dynip.com.

As to installing ICS versus a router and handling concurrent connections- a little company which has been around awhile and seems to have done pretty well in producing routers for that specific purpose is called Cisco. Microsoft decided to enter the router game when they saw money that they didn't have yet! It doesn't make sense to put a server in when all you need to do is connect to the Internet.

Comment

alright...thanks for replies guys...i guess we'll test it out when the house is done...and we have the router and such and i'll see how it goes.

Comment

Sorry - when you said ICS I'd guessed (wrongly) you had that in position. Picking up on the draytek suggestion - I'm running my kids off a Zyxel 662HW - but I've ignored the wireless and put a few 'internet over power' connectors (I think its called the home internet initiative in the states) so I use the existing power in the house for the network. As this connection cant jump phases in the power grid then I understand my network is my network.

Quick cheap and worked out of the box .. i think the zyxels and drayteks are of a similar breed - very robust, configurable and with features like a cisco but a darn sight easier to set up...

Comment

lol...nice...No i dont have anything in place yet i'd just like to get things planned for when I do set this up.

Comment

Working...
                  X