No announcement yet.

Router/Firewall Advise

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router/Firewall Advise

Good evening all,

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this.

I wondered if anyone could advise me on a new Wireless Router in the market that will work with my new setup.

- Two WAN connections for BT Fibre and Virgin Fibre
    - Load-Balance/Fail-Over
    - 200MB Virgin Fibre Internet
    - 80MB BT Fibre Internet (backup)
    - Dual band (if not tri-band)
    - at least AC3200
    - Firewall
    - no bottleneck on 100MB WAN ports

Quite a requirement but if not viable my other option rather than purchasing something is to install PFSense and then just but an access point or two..

If thats the case then can anyone tell me if the above is possible without any limitations with 100MB+ internet speeds?

Any advise would be great or if there is anything else you think I should consider on this type of setup, please advise.

Thanks everyone!

No helpful suggestions, but can I just say (being stuck in the land of 5Mb ADSL)...... you lucky b*****d
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Searched on for the phrase "dual wan wifi routers", came up with several links for models from Cisco, Draytek and D-Link. Without commitment or prejudice, the Draytek 2925 series may do everything you want, then again you may decide to settle on a separate WAN vs wifi device setup (Cisco, TP-Link, D-Link, etc.) Guess it depends on how deep your pockets are. Sounds like whichever models you look at, you'll want to pay attention only to the ones with gigabit Ethernet ports for the WAN interfaces, since you've got such a fat Virgin media pipe.
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Thank you all. Yes I have look at a number of them but seems to be limited in areas but gain in others... catch 22 I suppose! I have Cisco 5505's but these are obviously only 100Mb, so they are only good for my lab now or eBay!

Wireless isn't a problem I can look at a separate AP. It's just finding a decent dual WAN fail-over router that can handle the speed and through-put of Virgin!

Thanks again all, if you think of anything else please let me know!