No announcement yet.

Linksys WRT54GS wil not connect

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys WRT54GS wil not connect

Just joined, and did like admin said to, searched forums first but didn't find answer(s) to my problem. P.S. plz be patient with me as I'm only somewhat computer literate as compared to most on this site....( thanks in advance! ) OK here's the back story to my issue: I have a Cisco/Linksys WRT54GS V1.1 Wireless router that at one time was working fine. Had both a Compaq 550/Win/Me and a Sony Viao/650 laptop working through the device. The laptop MB fried so decided to purchase a HP P-4 desktop running windows XP/PRO. As it stands, I can only connect to the web by directly wiring the Compaq 550 to the cable modem. And the only way to access the web with the HP is to do the same but it necessitates a call to cable provider ( Comcast ) to "change the port to 587?" I do not have the two? original set up discs, and when I open up the config utility I get 2 msgs... 1: No association with access point 2: Failed to change Device configuration. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Re: Linksys WRT54GS wil not connect

A few general suggestion/questions here,
    Have you restarted the router? Have you seen anything not usual on the router logs config page? (if you can still login to it that is) . Have you considered a firmware alternative?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

Tried restarting router, same deal do I access "router log config page?

router config, by default, for a linksys wrt54g should be or - i forget which. You can acces this using a web browser.
        If you have not changed default username and password, I think it is a blank username, and password of admin

If it's not working, you may choose to reset the router, using a small, recessed "reset" button on the back. I think you need to hold it in for 10 seconds, while the router is turned off. But then you'd need to do all the configuration again.

Are you trying to connect to the WRT54G via wired or wireless connection?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Trying to connect to wired ( desk top ) computers to router

OK, tried the web address and left the user name blank and used "admin" in the password field, and it would not accept it...what next?.....

New development(s)... I was able to guess right on my "user name/password and got to the Linksys configuration page... up-graded the firmware to v 3.7.... but still no connection.....there was a lot to do on that page/site......

ok, so - can you browse the wrt54g configuration page from both computers ?

I recognise I may be asking repetitive or annoying questions here, but what I'm trying to do is narrow down the fault and isolate where it should be.

so far, we know that if you connect either computer directly to the cablemodem, it works.
                And if you connect at least one computer to the wrt54g via a cable, it also works
                This tells me that the physical network sockets and cables are ok, it also tells me that your computers are getting correct addresses for the network, and your internet connection is working correctly.

So, I suspect there's an issue with the way the cablemodem and wrt54g are configured with each other...

on the back of the wrt54g, there should be a total of 5 network ports. 4 will be in one big group together, and one will be a little bit separate.
                When you connect the cablemodem to the router, it needs to be connected to the separate port.

however, overall I think the issue here is that the cable modem is configured as a "1-port" router, which is preventing the wrt54g from correctly doing it's job.
                To fix it, I think we may need to put the modem into "bridging" mode, and setup the authentication on the wrt54g.
                However, in your initial post, you mentioned that you're not an IT wizard, so I'm going to have a bit of a search around the internet for you, and see if I can find a guide that will help you get this configured

(from here:

Here's what we need to try.
                  1. logon to the WRT54g page (the one we found the password for before)
                  2. Find the 'Setup' then 'Basic setup' options.
                  3. There should be a box at the top, a dropdown box, it may be called "internet connection type."
                  4. This should be set to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP"
                  5. If it's not, set the configuration to that, save it, and let the router reboot
                  6. Unplug the ethernet cable from the cable modem. Turn off the cable modem.
                  7. Plug the ethernet cable into the separate port on the wrt54g.
                  8. Turn the modem back on
                  9. TRy browsing. If you're asked to download comcast software at any time, try to avoid it.
                  10. If you can't avoid downloading that software, you'll need to do a hard reset on the modem and try again..

Give that a shot.
                  Otherwise, ring and see if comcast could assist you.. ? they may have hobbled it somehow when they reset the port or whatever they said they did..

Ok..... sorry for the delay tehcamel...did as u said but still no web access....called help from them with "3rd party" stuff... on the set up page it looks like there is a bunch of "fields" that have no numbers in them that should......I went to that website at top of your last post...... beginning to wonder if the "mac address" thing ( comcast not seeing my computer's mac address ) as possibly being the issue?.........

You tried cloning the mac address on the linksys? By doing this it kind of tricks the cable modem that its directly connected to the pc as your router has the same mac as ur pc does. Usually this will require a reboot of both the cable modem and your linksys. Cable providers used to record the mac address that was directly attached to the modem to issue dhcp. I dont think this is common anymore but if they have your pc's mac recorded on their equipment it may be your problem. The cloning on the linksys just clones your local pc mac to the wan port mac so they will match up on the provders end.
                      Last edited by auglan; 17th June 2010, 13:13.
                      CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
                      CCIE Security (In Progress)