which wireless router?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which wireless router?

I would like my two desktop and two laptop computers connected to a cable provider that has a common name brought no router in the attic. I want to set wireles router next to it and the wireless router pinched 2 desktop computers and two laptop computers. I am interested which model do you recommend? I read about the D-Link Dir600. Can you peporuciti a cheaper model that also performs good job in this situation where I have internet in the attic and I want it to drop in wireless ground. The house is double-and attic.
    Thank you

Re: which wireless router?

Sorry but I am having trouble decoding some of what you have posted. What is your native language as this may help to figure out what you are saying (in the parts I don't understand) and please do not take offence, none is intended.

To clarify, you have a 2 storey (level) house with an attic, so basically a 3 level building.
    Are you intending to located the Router in the attic?
    Are you considering an 11.g or 11.n Wireless device?
    What is the house made from? This relates to what seperates the different levels. eg: if the floors are concrete with reinforced steel, this will affect signal strength more than a plain wooden floor.
    Are there cooling or heating ducts between the different levels. The ducts usually have some sort of metal foil surrounding it and this will place havoc with a wireless signal.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

yes, i have a 3 level building. yes, the router is in the attic.
      i want to buy a wireless router and i don't know which model, maybe d-link dir 600 and i don't know where i set them? i want the router in the attic connect on the wireless router. the internet come in the router in the attic
      the floors are concrete with reinforced steel, but there aren't cooling or heating ducts between the different levels

Comment

It depends a little on the size of the house but I would go with something like the linksys WRE54G. This allows for a repeater solution and I would suspect that you will need at least one on top and middle floors in order to have good total coverage. You may have to play with where you place each access point.

In almost all things you get what you pay for, when it comes to network equipment cheap = down time.

Comment

Originally posted by kgantt
          This allows for a repeater solution.........
          Oh yes, an excellent idea!! Great suggestion. or
          That would work really well considering the house layout and construction materials used. I couldn't get passed wanting to cable it.

Gogi100, have a look at some of the links here and read about kgantt's excellent suggestion. http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...ta=&aq=null&oq=
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm partial to ditching LinkSys's abysmal firmware in favor of DD-WRT, so I'd consider purchasing a router that is known to be friendly to the alternate firmware. Take a look at the list of DD_WRT images to see what features each has and then amble over to the DD-WRT router database and search for models that interest you and are capable of handling the image that you want. DD-WRT supports repeating, so kgantt's suggestion would be workable.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
            X