Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with using Sp Touch as a Bridge with router

Hello all,

I need to allow IP traffic on 3 particular ports into a G5 Xserver on my network. The network consists of several macs running OS X and PCs running XP all are configured with a static 192. etc addresses. All machines connect to a switch, which is also connected to a router, which also connects to a Speedtouch Home modem. The router is setup with an internal address of 192... and is configured to sign the modem in with a Static PPPoE address, signon and password.

I have upgraded the Speedtouch to a Pro and configured it as a transparent bridge as per the documentation on this site. I have added the IP forwarding commands to the router to send any traffic on the 3 ports to the Servers IP. I also added a command so I could remote manage my router and have added the NAT command to the ST modem to forward all traffic to the router.

But I cannot get a connection from an external address, I can't even remote to the router. The connection always times out. I do however see some traffic being accepted at the router and my server when I check the logs. I have also tried this with both my router Firewall and Server Firewall disable. So I think it is more to do with routing the traffic between the router and modem.

I am only new to this level of networking so this site has been a great help so far, If anyone can advise any next steps or things to check it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I have downloaded both the ST manuals and read most of the articles on ST modems. I have just run out of things to try so I would be happy to be pointed in the right direction.

Network layout:

Internet
    |
    Splitter
    |
    Alcatel modem
    |
    |
    61.143.143.12 (Static IP from ISP - sample)
    |
    Router signs in with PPPoE
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    PC1-------------------Switching Hub--------------------PC4
    192.168.0.101 / \ 92.168.0.104
    / \
    / \
    | |
    Xserver Mac2
    192.168.0.102 192.168.0.103
    Last edited by davidcl; 18th August 2005, 04:05. Reason: Fixed the Problem editing Title

Re: Problems with using Sp Touch as a Bridge with router

Where is Melse? He is really good with these modems.

I'm a bit confused.

Internet
    |
    Splitter
    |
    Alcatel modem
    |
    |
    61.143.143.12 (Static IP from ISP - sample)
    |
    Router signs in with PPPoE
    |

Where is the router? Do you have 2 x Speedtouch, 1 (the Home) as a bridge and the 2nd (covert Home to Pro) as the router or is it something different?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. But I'm not exactly sure where I should place the Static IP address. But to clarify, I only have one modem, it is a ST Home that I have hacked to act as a Pro. This Modem is connected to a DLINK router, which in turn connects to a switch/hub that all my PCs and Macs connect to.

Internet
      |
      Splitter
      |
      Alcatel modem 10.0.0.138 (61.143.143.12 (Static IP from ISP - sample))
      |
      Router signs in with PPPoE 192.168.0.1
      |
      Switch
      |
      PC 192.168.0.5

Comment

FIXED !! Re: Problems with using Sp Touch as a Bridge with router

GREAT NEWS !! I fixed the problem. I can not explain why but the way I configured the router caused the problem. As you explained in the docs if you change the ST home to a Bridge, you must get a router to sign the modem in. I added the PPPoE details into the router, I used the Static PPPoE option as I had been issued with one from my ISP.
        On a hunch I switch the WAN config to be Dynamic PPPoE and everything now works. I can now hit the Static IP from the internet and talk to my server inside my network.

Apologies for any hassle caused
        David

Comment

No apology necessary David. We are glad you sorted out the problem and post back with the fix. It is appreciated.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X