X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home network problem

Hi,
    I have server 2003 ent with 2 nic card's configured as DHCP
    one card is connected to the internet with ECI Modem PR270 (defult configuration,i didnt turn it to router)
    the second nic connected to HUB as uplink
    i have 2 more computers getting an ip and avilable on the network.
    i configured the server to be Routing and remote access but still i cant see internet on the other computers in my net
    what is worng with the configuration??
    i need help to understand where is the problem.
    Thanks a lot.

Look, we need more info in order to know what's wrong.

Does the server see the internet?

Do the LAN comps ping the server's internal NIC? External NIC? The modem's internal NIC?

What's the network's DNS?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

thanks for the fast replay....sorry for the missing details!
      so the server ip is 10.0.0.1 Dns 10.0.0.1 nslookup brings back the server name and ip and if i preform nslookup from the second pc i get the same result. there is AD and thats it. exchange in the futere.
      the nic which connected to the HUB called UpLInk and the nic which connected to ine internet is called Internet connection.
      what is the best way to get all my pc's in the net to see internet in this topology?
      all of the pc are part of a domain.
      thanks
      oh and yes the server surfing the internet with no problem after short connection to my ISP.
      when i ping cnn.com for example from one of the pc's i get the ip but destenaion unreachable
      and the browser get page cannot be display.

Comment

Ok, so you have an internal DNS. Is it configured to forward to the ISP?

Is that DNS configured as the DNS for all the LAN computers?

You didn't answer about the pings from the LAN computers to the internal NIC of the server, and to the external NIC of the server, and to the modem's internal IP.

Now, one more thing: Why did you set up NAT on the server, and not just the routing feature? The modem already does NAT, so there's no point in doing it 2 times.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Well there are some basic thing i didnt understand:
          * how can i check if the DNS configured to forward to the ISP?
          * about the ping i am not near to my pc's right now so i'll get back to you with answer later....
          * i set up NAT cuz i realized that ICS wouldnt work for me in this situation,
          and as i understand from you its unnecessary. so what next? should i cancel this service? or limit it for routing only. please give me some basic instruction. avantully i wont to achive server as domain controller with DNS DHCP Exchange linked to the internet and the other pc's can see each other and see the internet
          i am learning all this from trial and error i dont have any literature only windows help topics and of course this GREAT & HELPING forum.
          i'll be more than happy to learn from you.

Comment

For the DNS - see:

http://www.petri.com/configure_dns_forwarding.htm

Since you salready have the modem and a switch, I'd suggest you configure the modem to dial on it's own, not the server. That way the internet will be always on. Next, you connect the modem to the switch, and not to the server. This way you don't need a router on the server. The modem itself will be the router.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

10x for the fast attention.
              you wrote "configure the modem to dial on it's own"
              is it means i need to chane the modem in to a router??
              and then i connect him to the uplink in my Switch?
              and i guess he will assign ip to the rest of the pc's?

Comment

by the way i did try yesterday to forword the ISP DNS but no success
                when i ping cnn.com i get the ip but destenation unreachable.
                any idea why??

Comment

Look, I don't know what you did there and why things are not working for you. I suggest you start from the beginning, because doing it like this is like beating the bush.

Read my answers, read the answers for other posts here on the forum, and re-build your network.

First make sure you have a working LAN, with all settings right. DNS, WINS, everything. Don't use 2 NICs on the server, there's no need for it.

Next, crack the modem and configure it to dial.

Next, connect the LAN and switch to the modem, and set the DNS on the server to forward to the ISP.

There should be no problems with this setup, but if you do get lost, please make sure you tell us exactly what you did, because again, I don't like to repeat myself.

Good luck.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks again i'll mange from here.
                    and i dont think you repat yourself at all
                    take it easy man...

Comment

I'm cool, don't worry. Start all over again, remove the RRAS, re-install DNS, follow the guides on my site, and if you get lost, come back.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                      X