Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alcatel home - adding a wireless router

Hi
    i used an alcatel modem converted to 510.
    this morning i added a wireless router. i had downgraded the modem firmware back to home so it won't function as a router.

i need your help to configure the home model to connect to netvision (israel) using a wireless router.
    also - do i really have to keep it in home firmware or should i use the 510/pro firmware in a way that will not allow it to function as a router?

thank you

It doesn't matter what device you connect to the modem - a computer or a router. It's all the same configuration.

First, hack the STH to configure it to dial for itself.

Next, since the STH will do the NAT for you, you can disable this feature in your wireless router. Just use it as a router.

If the STH uses one interface for the ADSL, and the other for the LAN, connect that interface to the wireless router, and config the router to use an IP that is a part of the same subnet - i.e. if the STH uses 10.0.0.138, config the router's interface to use 10.0.0.139 or similar.

Once these 2 interfaces are on the same network, config the wireless's router other side, the one the wireless clients use, to be on a different network, i.e. 192.168.0.0, thus the clients will use 192.168.0.1, 0.2 and so on. The specific configuration depends on the model of your router.

Config your clients to use an IP from the router's built-in internal DHCP, or manually, again, this depends on your router's configuration.

If you need more help you'll need to come back to us, this time with DETAILS, don't let us guess.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

i'm a little confused, thanks for your patience.

the current installation is that the clients are connected to the router by cables, the router is connected to the modem and then to the phone line.
      thus the router is configured to look up the 10.0.0.138 address for the modem, and the modem is currently not configured since it was downgraded back to the home firmware.

how do i configure the sth to dial for itself, and how can i disable the router from functioning as one (it's a brand new ieee802.11g)
      why should i config the router to 10.0.0.139?

yet, can i do the opposite and disable the sth 510 from functioning as a router?

Comment

Look, the router is a router, it cannot be anything else. If you wanted a simple wireless switch you could have bought an access point, not a router.

See this diagram:

Code:
          Internet
              |
              |
              |
            ISP IP
              |
             STH
              |
              |
              |
              |
              |
            Router
              |
              |
              |
              |
          -----------
              LAN
        As you can see, the modem and the router need to form a network between them, and the router's other's "side" needs to form a different network with the LAN.

This way, the modem dials and performs NAT/Routing, then the wireless router routes again to the LAN.

Perhaps you should check to see if your router can also dial. If it does, you can drop the STH.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

i got it.
          technicaly, how do i do it?

the router can't dial.

Comment

You're not listening. How can I tell you how to do it technically if you didn't even tell us what router you're using?

Read again:

Set up the modem to dial.

Set up the oruter with one int. towards the modem (see diagram).

Set the router's other int. towards the LAN (see diagram).

Set the router NOT do do NAT, or, if it cannot be done, set the modem NOT to do NAT and to forward all traffic to the exteral int. of the router (this is usually called DEFSERVER on the modem).

This way a LAN com will access the router (which is the default gateway for the LAN), and the router will route (without NAT) to the modem.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

i can disable the nat feature in the router.
              so if i understand it correctly, you're saying i should configure the router lan as 192.168.2.X for the clients and the wan to look for 10.0.0.138.
              should it be pppoe or pptp?
              and should i upgrade the modem to 510 again?

Comment

i'm adding an image of the router configuration web page.
                this is how it's configured.
                the wan ip is 10.200.1.1, and pppt to look for 10.0.0.138:

http://photos.walla.co.il/ts.cgi?tss...mp;user=rotemz

and this is how i configrued the lan as 192.168.2.1:

http://photos.walla.co.il/ts.cgi?tss...mp;user=rotemz

Comment

No need for PPPOE nor PPTP since the router doesn't "know" that it is talking to the internet. From the router's point of view, it is routing from the LAN side to the WAN side, where it needs to send all the traffic to the modem's interface - 10.0.0.138.

Again, I don't like to repeat myself, read my previous answers.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

please take a look at the screen shots i uploaded.
                    i don't see any other option there to connect between the modem and the router.

the modem itself is configured on ppp towards the phone line.

the question is how do i configure the router at this moment.
                    have a look at the screen shots if you can tell any other option.

Comment

Man, why are you being difficult?

How hard is it to understand my answers?

What did I tell you about the router LAN and the router WAN IP addresses? You're insisting on doing it your way, so please, be my guest, but then don't ask the same questions over and over again.

And still, you insisnt on not telling us your router model. What is it? A secret?

Have fun.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

no secret, i wrote it already. it's a nexttech ieee 802.11g.
                        anyhow i replaced the modem and put a b-focus 270 instead so i can now work in ppoep. working good, thanks for the help.

Comment

Great! Well done.
                          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                          X