2 nic cards in 1 workstation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 nic cards in 1 workstation

Hi petri community , I am new to this site maybe somebody out there can help me. Win XP pro workstation, I have added a 2nd nic card, nic 1 on static IP on lan(192.168.1.xxx), 2nd nic on internet using dhcp. when nic 1 is assigned an IP manually nic 2 doesn't work, when no IP assigned internet is accessible. How can I get the 2 nics working together, nic 1 on lan nic 2 on internet.

thanks

Re: 2 nic cards in 1 workstation

I'm sure something can be done, but would probably need a manually assigned IP address on the Internet facing card.
    Can you post an IPCONFIG/ALL from both cards please

But I have to ask the question -- WHAT on earth are you trying to achieve?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Are you trying to do Internet Connection Sharing?
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

in xp use regedit to find

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters

change the value for IPEnableRoute to 1 and that will allow traffic to travel from 1 nic to another.

please remember that any machine on the internal network will need to have a static address and gateway defined if you want to share your web connection.

Using ICS may be a better option as this also (unless Im mistaken) will assignn IP addresses to any clients connecting using that card.

It would be far easier tbh if you can to use a router with multiple ports on it, to enable internet sharing.

Comment

hey

You are trying to do ICS - internet connection sharing.

In 1st computer, in nic 1 enable the internet sharing in NIC 1 properties.. this shouldn't have manual ip, it should be automatic.

From nic 2 connect it to the 2nd computer's nic. this 2nd computer should get the ip automatically in the range of 192.168.0.x. it will share the internet thru 1st computer.

check and let me know

cheers
          L8ian

Comment

Working...
          X