fault tolerant internet links

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fault tolerant internet links

Does anyone know of a way to make dual internet links fault tolerant for inbound traffic. Outbound traffic is a piece of cake. What I want to do is have www.computer-galllery.com point to static IP1 at my first ISP. Then I want to have www.computer-galllery.com point to static IP2 at my second ISP. If either link fails, traffic should route via the other link. I know BGP is a solution, but it won't work on DSL. Someone suggested some sort of DNS idea where we host the dns locally and push out zone changes to our ISP name servers. If a problem occurs, we push out a zone change the changes IP numbers from ISP1 to ISP2. The only problem is that this is just a wild idea. Does anyone have any practical suggestions?

Just an FYI.

Pushing zone updates isn't very practical with relation to time because of propigation. Some DNS servers may not receive the changes until the outage has ended.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I am sorry butt i am not understanding the question?!?!

Two lines for ??? connect to the internet??? Have Web server Online???

Can you explain better?!
      MCSE w2k
      MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
      MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Can't you use DNS round robin? I've heard this before but never tried it. Where a domain has multiple A records to different IP addresses.... or am i talking out of my arse.
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
          Can't you use DNS round robin? I've heard this before but never tried it. Where a domain has multiple A records to different IP addresses.... or am i talking out of my arse.
          Well, Round robin Will work butt you can have the bad luck to see the server down for a wile .
          MCSE w2k
          MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
          MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

You can use the fault tolerance inherent in the DNS system.

The root servers delegate domain.com to the DNS servers of domain.com, say ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com. The DNS servers of domain.com further delegate www.domain.com as a sub-domain to DNS servers running on the web servers themselves. These servers have a very short TTL set in the zone (typical 10s), and they only resolve the zone www.domain.com to their own IP address.

What happens is that the client will try to resolve www.domain.com via some local NS which will locate ns1 and ns2 of the domain.com. The query will be referred to the DNSs running on the web servers, each of which will only return their own IP address. If the server is down it will not answer queries and the fault tolerance mechanisms of DNS will result in another server being queried which will reply with his own IP address.

You could use round robin but there is no fault tolerance and clients will still try and hit the unavailable server, (obviously once they hit the correct one they will cache the address for next time though.)

topper.
            * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Working...
            X