trying to do a network between 2 computers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to do a network between 2 computers

I tried to do a network between 2 computers, one havs windows XP service pack 2 and one has Windows 98, now this computer (the one with windows xp service pack 2) can see the other computer, but the other one can't see this one on the network, why?

Maybe you have the firewall enabled on the XP system.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No I checked it's not that, but anyway suddenly my brother said that the other computer see this one (that's what happend last time), but how can I do now that the internet will work in the other computer too?

Comment

What TCP/IP settings are you using on both computers?

How are you trying to share the internet between the computers, are you using internet sharing, or a router plugged into a switch, feeding both computers?

B.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_brian
          What TCP/IP settings are you using on both computers?

How are you trying to share the internet between the computers, are you using internet sharing, or a router plugged into a switch, feeding both computers?

B.
          in the first computer we have 2 internet cards (the one which is connected to the internet), in the other one we have one, and we are connecting one internet card to the modem and one to a hab which is connected to the other computer, and we want the other computer to surf trough this one..

Comment

Have you got ICS setup and installed on the PC with 2 NIC's ? Is this PC with obne with Win XP SP2 installed ?

What IP address' has each computer got ?

topper
            * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Originally posted by topper
              Have you got ICS setup and installed on the PC with 2 NIC's ? Is this PC with obne with Win XP SP2 installed ?

What IP address' has each computer got ?

topper
              I didn't understand the first question

In this computer I have windows xp SP2 and in the other one windows 98

I prefer sending it to you in a pm if you need it

Comment

The IP address' should be internal anyway, and would make no difference if everyone knows. I was only asking to ensure they are in the same subnet etc, If they are external address' then that could well be your problem.

My first question was "have you got internet connection sharing setup on your windows XP computer". This is required to "share" it internet connection to the other computer.

topper

Comment

The IP address' should be internal anyway, and would make no difference if everyone knows. I was only asking to ensure they are in the same subnet etc, If they are external address' then that could well be your problem.

My first question was "have you got internet connection sharing setup on your windows XP computer". This is required to "share" it internet connection to the other computer.

topper
                  you mean if I have done this sharing wizard? if yes then yes..

and the ip's are the same just with the last number in this computer it's 1 and in the other it's 2

Comment

yea but with ICS you have to have specific IP address'.

I think the ICS PC needs 192.168.1.1 and the other should be 192.168.1.2

with class c subnet mask. (255.255.255.0)

topper.

Comment

yea but with ICS you have to have specific IP address'.

I think the ICS PC needs 192.168.1.1 and the other should be 192.168.1.2

with class c subnet mask. (255.255.255.0)

topper.
                      it's almost the same as we have done but we wrote 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2

Comment

sorry, yes you are right, it is 192.168.0.1

topper

Comment

sorry, yes you are right, it is 192.168.0.1

topper
                          actually my brother told me just after I saw your message that again it stopped working (the other computer again didn't see this one, but this one saw the other one, I don't understand why it happens)

so we changed the ip to 192.168.1.1 and it worked again, but I think that it started working again because we did reset, I still didn't understand why it stopped working or started working again...

Comment

Working...
                          X