Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't surf using alacatel router on win98 (can on win2k pro)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't surf using alacatel router on win98 (can on win2k pro)

Hi,
    My system is a dual boot (win98, win2k pro) system. It's connected to adsl by an alcatel speedtouch pro. My broadband connection via win2k pro is as expected. All my efforts, though, to achieve a similar situation on win98 failed.
    I checked the router's configuration and it's identical for both OSs. (Isn't it automatic?). I managed to establish a connection to the router on win98 (ping 10.0.0.13, but other than that, nil. No browser, no email.
    Can you suggest what's wrong?

Ran

If you got your IP setting right and if you can telnet to the modem then I guess it must be a MTU/MRU issue. Head over the www.dslreports.org, do their tests and read their guides.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Looks like my problem is specific to my win98, what tests?

Daniel,
      Thanks.
      I followed the dslreports link and looked for tests, but their offering looks irrelevant. The only lead which seemed possible is a fixing of winsock2. I ran this program, updated my winsock, but nothing changed.
      Did you have any specific test in mind when you suggested this site? If so, can you be more specific?
      Still, I would like to reiterate my logic. Since I talking about a dual boot system, both hardware and communication channels are identical. Therefore, the only relevant distinction is the OS. I wonder if there's anything special in win98, which I might have missed, and that halts my win98 broadband communication.

Ran

Comment

I think you have misconfigured your win 98 .
        double check your ip setting ,dns and gateway.

Comment

Does your modem make the connection by itself, are do you dial-up using windows?

1) Start with installing DUN 1.4 from the microsoft website: http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d...14/default.asp
          Reboot and make the right settings for IP address, DNS and gateway.

2) In the settings of the Internet Explorer, you have selected "Never dial a connetion"?

3) Sometimes it works ok after removing the network neigbourhood and tcp/ip protocol in win98, rebooting and re-installing network and tcp/ip protocol.

Comment

Working...
          X