help connecting multiple pc's w/1 wireless card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help connecting multiple pc's w/1 wireless card

Host pc....XP Pro, SP2, in Active Directory Domain using AT&T USB Connect Quicksilver wireless card, also being used outside of the domain as home pc......The AT&T help desk told me that the card would allow other pc's to pick up the wireless signal, without a router, as if the card itself would broadcast like a router. The problem is we can't find the signal with either of the other 2 computers in the house. We even tried to bridge it with a router, and yet still nothing. So far that's about all I've tried, but that's only because I can't find the security settings to see if it's broadcasting the sid. Has anyone run into this problem before? They didn't send a driver with it because win already gas it's own so i can't run the driver.

Re: help connecting multiple pc's w/1 wireless card

Is it possible AT&T is referring to creating an ad-hock network?

From wikipedia:

[edit] Ad hoc computer network

Main article: Ad-hoc network
    In an ad-hoc network, the connection is established for the duration of one session and requires no base station. Instead, devices discover others within range to form a network for those computers. Devices may search for target nodes that are out of range by flooding the network with broadcasts that are forwarded by each node. Connections are possible over multiple nodes (multihop ad hoc network). Routing protocols then provide stable connections even if nodes are moving around. Sony's PlayStation Portable uses ad hoc connections for wireless multiplayer gaming, as does the Nintendo DS (although Nintendo does not officially use the term). Technically, the Nintendo Game Boy used this method for linking up to each other in a wired (Game Link Cable) or wireless (Game Boy Color IR Port, Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter) mode.
    See IEEE 802.11, Bluetooth, or ultra-wide band. The alternative is infrastructure, with a base station that manages the network for its range. The theory behind ad hoc networks falls within the Distributed Transient Network-paradigm.
    The term ad hoc network can also refer to an independent basic service set (IBSS).

Comment

If you want the other PCs to connect to the Internet wirelessly then I would suggest you get a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router. This will also allow you to provide better security for your wireless network.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you for the comments....first, i tried the router, belkin g-series, before I contacted AT&T, and that didn't work. I'm not sure about the ad hoc, I will have to look into it a little further. The fact that using the router and we still couldnt find the signal is what made me question whether it is broadcasting the sid. When I get home from school I will see what else I can find out about ad hoc. Thanx again.

Comment

Broadcasting the SSID doesn't have anything to do with the radio signal. The SSID is merely an "identifier". Whether you broadcast the SSID or not, the radio signal is "always on" and should be detected by wireless clients. What channel is the device and the other devices using?

Comment

Sorry for the delay, but I'm still in class.....15 min break. I have absolutely no idea what channel, but I guess I misunderstood just what the sid is. Let me see what I can pry out of my insturctor about how to find the channel, and I will get bk to you.

Comment

Okay, now I understand the difference, but I don't have access to it to find out which....11 or 12 by default I would imagine, but I get where you're going. I'll see what I can find out and get back to you, but I may still have the same essential problem since I can't find access to the security settings to begin with, then I may not have access to the channel either. We'll see...Thank you though, very informative.

Comment

Netstumbler, download and install it on a a wireless enabled machine and see what Channel it is running on and the SSID name.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X