Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diffrence betwen cables

Hello,

I know it is bit silly to ask this question here could anybody let me know the diffrence between the crossover cable and rollover cable..

Thank you.

Re: Diffrence betwen cables

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to use Google and he can find his own directions to the supermarket. I too needed this information once and Google was happy to help me. You might also want to read up on straight through cables as well. Although, in these days of Auto MDIX I don't think you see as much of a need for either type.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Rollover Cable - type of null-modem cable that is most commonly used to connect a computer terminal to a router's console port

Crossover Cable - used to connect computing devices together directly where they would normally be connected via a network switch, hub or router.

Never seen on used for the other in the 20 years I have been in the IT field.

WIKI FTW!

Comment

Always fun to resurrect zombie threads

Usually worth checking the date of the last message before you post, especially when the question has already been answered.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

FYI, a crossover cable is also refered to (though not commonly) as a null hub cable.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank u to all for the reply...howver I m still unable to get the exact diffrence...I will search for i myself...thanks anyway...

Comment

well there are 3 types patch, crossover, rollover.
              patch cable connects dissimilar devices ie
              router>switch>pc
              It's to do with the transmit/receive wires of the cable, patch cable crosses the two
              transmit>receive
              receive<transmit

cross over cable connects devices of a similar type together.
              pc to pc, switch to switch, router to router.
              cross over is used because when the device is similar a patch would connect transmit to transit and receive to receive, so these need to be 'crossed over'

A rollover cable, however, is used to connect a computer's serial port to the console prtt of a router or managed switch (with a dongle). It is wired with the to ends completely the reverse of each other:
              So like before patch and crossover were swapping transmit/receive at different ends a rollover swaps all the wires.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

You champ....thanks a ton for the reply...I am glad that I got the answer this time..I think others should follow you instead of giving silly comments..thanks again...!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ravi.tejpal View Post
                  You champ....thanks a ton for the reply...I am glad that I got the answer this time..I think others should follow you instead of giving silly comments..thanks again...!!!!
                  Did you even look at the Google link provided by Nonapeptide. It answered the question when I looked at it. A search of the Forums would also have given you an answer as this had been discussed 4 or 5 weeks ago. S E A R C H , the forgotten tool. It is so much easier to be hand feed.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Look I went through and I know how to serach okay..its just I was just looking for something specific about them..I got the answer from uk_network...thanks uk_network..
                    Last edited by ravi.tejpal; 27th October 2008, 18:31.

Comment

You're welcome...
                      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by ravi.tejpal View Post
                        Look I went through and I know how to serach okay...
                        Sorry to labour the point but this attachment shows the first page of the search from Nonapeptide's Google link. (I have added the yellow highlighter to make it easier to see.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	google-search.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	463795
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X