No announcement yet.

Help with Alcatel Home Speed Touch modem.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Alcatel Home Speed Touch modem.

My name is Yuval Lahav, and I live and work in Italy.
    When I lived in Israel I had the Alcatel Home Speed Touch ADSL modem, which later I upgraded to the Pro version so I could use it as a router.
    Now that I live in Italy, and got my ADSL account here, I wanted to use the Alcatel modem again, but I have a problem. I must configure the connection to use a PPPoE protocol, and alas, there is no such protocol (not one that I found, at least..) in the settings of the modem. I wanted to know if I upgrade the modem again, to verion 510, will I be able to set up the new connection?

Yuval Lahav.

Not sure about the ADSL settings for Italy, but I would have thought it needed to be PPPoA as usual.

My recomendation would be to buy a dedicated router, I've had problems with Alcatel before and don't rate them highly I'm afraid.

* Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

For some reason (don't ask me why...), to use an ethernet router, and not a usb router, here I need PPPoE, but maybe PPPoA will do the trick, and still, the pro setting of the Alcatel don't have the possibility right now to use PPPoA and PPPoE, so... I guess I will just buy a simple router for that job... do you know of and whould like to recooment a good (and cheap) ADSL router that can work with PPPoA or PPPoE (I will use a hub to connect to all my computers).

Check out the Ozcableguy for router reviews. There is a good selection to read about.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Thanks. Grazie.
          I will check that right now.

You can use PPPoE with the Speedtouch Pro but then the modem is not capable to log in to the ISP automatically. You have to set a dial up connection onto your computer.
            However, if you upgrade/tweak to the 510v3 version, it can be done automatically.