Help with issue with wireless connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with issue with wireless connection

Hello hopefully you guys can help me out on this. I'm not very tech savvy so bare with me.

I have a modem that also supports a phoneline...it's one of those stupid Armstrong cable deals where you get phone and internet in the same package.

The problem I've been having for oh 5 years now is that my internet connection has been extremely slow while my parents connection is perfect.

My dad has a laptop directly connected to our router (which is close to new). I have a Belkin N Wireless (one of those flash drive looking ordeals) hooked to my computer.

My single strength is perfect almost always it's speed is 54.0 mpbs (whatever the heck that means)

I can usually hook on to another channel from a neighbors signal but the signal is so poor that it usually disconnects every 5 minutes. When connected however...it's 10x faster than my OWN router that is about 15 feet away in the other room.

I've maybe thought it has something to do with frequency issues with the phone..again I'm not tech savvy. I've tried to convince my dad that connecting my computer directly to the modem would alleviate the issue but no dice. This issue has been going on for awhile. I can't connect my xbox to xbox live at my house but it works fine at other peoples houses....etc etc

Re: Help with issue with wireless connection

Have you already tried to change the channel of the router with + or - 5?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Re: Help with issue with wireless connection

As Dumber has said changing the channel of your router/Wireless Access point could help as other devices work on the same frequency range (Microwaves, Cordless phones etc).

One question I have to ask is:
      Is accessing the Internet slow, or is accessing the local network slow?
      (By local network I mean if you have two or more computers connected to the router (or using Windows Vista and Xbox 360 media sharing options) is accessing shared files on them slow?)

If any of this is confusing I can try and explain it better, mind you Dumbers solution could work wonderfully for you and solve all your problems.

Regards,

Richard

Comment

Working...
      X