Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westell Versalink 327w not giving private IPs to client computer; Client has pub IP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westell Versalink 327w not giving private IPs to client computer; Client has pub IP

Okay, this one has me completely stymied.

A friend of mine has a Westell Versalink 327w as his gateway to a home broadband network connection. Here's the full manual and the Quick Start guide for the Versalink.

Here's the problem: I happened to notice that my friend's laptop was showing that it had a public IP address while on his home network. Using the cable or wireless connection made no difference. Worred, I tried to connect to that IP address from the outside but was rejected. My friend tried to connect to that IP address via a web browser and saw a default Apache web page. My assumption was that it is an Apache installation on his MacBook that he was seeing and that the Versalink is 'smart' enough to block requests for that IP address coming from the WAN port. I wanted to change his home network to use a NATed IP address scheme, However I can't find a way to get to a management interface for the router. Interestingly, he happened to have an identical 327w that he had never used. He took that out of the box, plugged it in and it too is assigning his lone MacBook his external IP and we can't seem to find a way to access the router directly.

Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone seen similar behavior? How can I manage this device when it seems to forward any and all traffic to a host on the network? What type of network behavior is this? It doesn't seem to be 1 to 1 NAT as that should still give the local device a private IP. This is beginning to cause problems as he now has a second computer but it cannot connect to the network at all. I'm assuming that only one client is allowed while the router is behaving like this.

It's always seems to be the home grade equipment that gives me the most problems. Give me a SonicWall any day.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Westell Versalink 327w not giving private IPs to client computer; Client has pub

The router is in bridge mode instead of router mode.. or whatever it's called.

Anyway probably he has done the following:
    ->Configuration -> Advanced LAN -> DHCP ->
    Drop Down DHCP Server to OFF -> Save -> OK

->Configuration -> Advanced WAN -> WAN -> First Edit Button ->
    Drop Down Protocol to Bridge -> Drop Down Mode to Bridge ->
    Set VC -> OK -> OK

...and if you decide to turn the wireless off as well

->Configuration -> Wireless -> Basic -> Drop Down Wireless Operation to OFF -> Save -> OK
    source http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14245940

Reset the router to factory defaults and normally he's back in Nat/routing mode..
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Re: Westell Versalink 327w not giving private IPs to client computer; Client has pub

Thanks Dumber. Bridge mode; I knew there was a name for it. I don't mess around much with home equipment. He reset the router and there was no change. I saw a forum post that made mention that the 327w is in bridge mode by default. I have yet to find out how to take it out of bridge mode. I'm wondering if it's not possible since it seems to be the factory default. Calling tech support was not fruitful.

I'm wondering if this hails back to the days when ISPs did not like having customers "hide" multiple computers behind a NAT router. Maybe the ISPs worked out a deal with the router manufacturer to put the router in bridge mode from the factory. This router seems to be an older model. I'm just conjecturing of course, but it kinda makes sense... almost.

Back to Googling...
      Last edited by Nonapeptide; 21st August 2008, 01:29.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Usually I would place a other router behind the one you receive from the ISP.
        Or replace it. Personally I don't do a lot with home equipment either so...
        The problem is that the router is in bridge mode. I don't know if you get an ip address when you unplug the internet feed?

At home I've a draytek 2820n. I have to say, I love it
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
          Usually I would place a other router behind the one you receive from the ISP.
          Or replace it. Personally I don't do a lot with home equipment either so...
          The problem is that the router is in bridge mode. I don't know if you get an ip address when you unplug the internet feed?
          Here's some interesting additions to this situation.
          1. When he plugs his PC directly into the modem (bypassing the router) he does not get an IP address. Odd since he's not paying for a static IP but rather simple home broadband cable.
          2. He purchased a brand new router (Airport Extreme) and it would not work at all with the connection unless it was put in bridge mode.

Curiouser and curiouser.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

New development. My friend called his ISP and they had him reset his router (he complied even though we had already done that) and then they "reset the modem from their end" (their words) and suddenly he could connect to the network with both computers on his LAN. Here's where things get weird: both computers now have a public IP address. I don't know why the cable modem would only work with a router in bridge mode or why we couldn't get an IP assigned before the modem was reset or why this ISP is assigning public IPs in the first place. This all seems strange to me.

Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
            X