Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cordless Phone/Verizon Actiontec Wireless Router Interference?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Phone/Verizon Actiontec Wireless Router Interference?

Hi everyone,

I have a customer whose wireless drops very intermittantly on a PC with a PCI wireless card, a laptop and another laptop that's occasionally in the office. The thing is, not all of them drop connection at once...one might keep the connection but another will drop. Then they have to reconnect and it's ok. But it happens VERY often on a daily basis.

I believe it's the cordless phone. The only phone jack is located on a wall, which is a 2.4 GHz phone (and cant change channels) and the Actiontec FIOS router is literally 4 feet away in a closet.

I tried changing the channel in the router which helped a little but not much.

Does anyone think it's the cordless phone interfering at the same 2.4 GHz frequency as the router (especially cause its the same frequency and how close it is)? Unfortunately I can't move where the phone or router is. Should I convince them to get a 5.8 GHz phone so there's less interference?

Sam

Re: Cordless Phone/Verizon Actiontec Wireless Router Interference?

What type of wireless are they using?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm sure it's the phone. Even though you changed the channel on the wireless router it's still technically 2.4Ghz, the variance in frequency from channel to channel is very small and is still in the "general" 2.4Ghz range. Remove the phone for a day and see what happens.

This is from Wikipedia:

802.11 divides each of the above-described bands into channels, analogously to how radio and TV broadcast bands are carved up but with greater channel width and overlap. For example the 2.4000-2.4835 GHz band is divided into 13 channels each of width 22 MHz but spaced only 5 MHz apart, with channel 1 centred on 2412 MHz and 13 on 2472

Comment

They're using 802.11g w/ WPA-PSK security.

I was pretty much banking on the phone too. The channel seemed to make a difference so far though (good connection with no drops on a laptop for 2 1/2 hours and still going while the PC dropped once at 1 1/2 hours). We'll experiment a full day with the changed channel tomorrow since it was changed toward end of the day.

I'll have to find another phone thats not cordless or not 2.4 GHz. I can't just remove the phone because stupidly, Verizon put the only phone jack in the building literally next to where THEY placed their router, 4 feet away from the jack in a circuit breaker closet when they placed it in last month! Yikes!!!

If it's just as bad, I'll have to convince them they definitely need a 5.8 GHz phone. That will more than likey cure the issue of dropped wifi connections right?
        Last edited by stommy989; 25th July 2008, 06:23.

Comment

Yep, I definitely think it's the phone. Did you happen to notice at the time of the WiFi drops was the phone in use? Try making a call from it and see what happens.

Comment

I'm shocked... even after disconnecting the phone completely for a couple days, the connection is still flakiest I've ever seen, out of all the customers I've seen with the Actiontec FIOS router and with a normal wireless envionment.

I don't know how many tower's I've installed with the Linksys Wireless G PCI cards and with the Actiontec FIOS router and a network printer, but this one just dies out randomly for no reason on the PC and laptops. It's definitely not the PC hardware because the tower, PCI card and the printer is less than 3 months old. Not the phone because it's disconnected and unplugged.

The other problem is the printer is networked/hardwired into the router. So if there's no internet on the wireless PC, they can't print (obviously). The weird part is another person has a Macbook with Windows and Mac, gets an active wireless connection but sometimes gets a spooling error and can't print, and sometimes it does print. It's really the strangest thing out. I did the same exact setup with two wireless towers and the only difference was he had DSL and I used a Linksys router (for the same customer too and his other store) and the wireless never goes out.

At this point, there's no reason to think the Linksys Wireless G PCI card in the tower or any hardware is a problem... I'd say it's a crappy (but new) FIOS router, would you think? Next step call Verizon??
            Last edited by stommy989; 30th July 2008, 19:19.

Comment

Yeah, maybe it's time to call Verizon. Do you have another router you can swap in to test with? Is there any other source of radio or electical interference?

Comment

Nothing else I can think of to be honest... no microwaves or refridgerators in their store however, the store next door is a deli, but I'm not sure if it can travel that far enough to make a difference.

I think it's just a crappy router...which is strange cause I've seen plenty Actiontec routers for the Verizon FIOS and never had wireless issues until this one...unfortunately I don't have a spare to test it with, I think I'll have them make the call to Verizon to come check it out cause I don't have anymore good answers to tell them why it's happening except "it's the router being flaky"

Sam

Comment

Run Netstumbler and see if you have some wireless interference coming from another source.
                  If it was the cordless phone then all wireless connections should have been killed at the same time (unless one was closer to the WAP and had a stronger signal).

Are you able to access the router and run any diagnostic tools that it may have?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well,

We replaced the phone with a 6.0 GHz and we had Verizon send us a new Actiontec router....and no more problems

Seems like the first one we got was junk because even with the phone disconnected it was still lights out constantly...now it hardly drops.

Thanks everyone...I love Petri forums!

Comment

Thanks for posting back with the update Stommy. It is appreciated.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X