Vpn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vpn

I have a computer (XP PRO) which runs on a windows 2k server network.

The problem I am having is that I can not connect to my network using vpn from home ,I get error "619" but at work when I try to connect with the same settings it works fine.
    From work I can connect both wirelessly and wired to the vpn.

I think this may be a simple thing although I have read most of the threads posted here I seem not to find any solution can anyone assist me please.
    There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.

Re: Vpn

I think we need a lot more details about:
    LAN environment
    WAN environment

Have you tried http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...rror+619&meta=

At the moment your post is a bit like "my car wont start -- what should I do?"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      I think we need a lot more details about:
      LAN environment
      WAN environment

Have you tried http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...rror+619&meta=

At the moment your post is a bit like "my car wont start -- what should I do?"
      Sorry about the vague post.Let me elaborate I am on windows vpn ,I sit on a netgear router cg814wgv2 at home with port 1723,47 & 500 open even though the netgear site says 500 is not necessary.My firmware on the router is 3.9.2 which is okay according to netgear . I have a McAfee antivirus which I have started and stopped. I have also tried connecting from another laptop without anti virus and still get the same error 619. I can ping and tracert the vpn switch without any probelms. I have tried to connect to the router using a LAN cable but I get no joy. I have tried almost everything in the book can you or someone help me out there please .What I am missing ?
      Last edited by tmel173; 22nd July 2008, 21:19.
      There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.

Comment

Can you clarify:

1. You have a VPN device at the office that you are attempting to connect to? What is the device?

2. Is the VPN device at the office behind a firewall? Do you have the appropriate rules and NAT statements set up on the firewall at the office?

3. Does your router at home have an "enable VPN passthrough" check box, or something similar?

Comment

1 I am trying to connect to a nortel vpn switch which is used to manage the vpn users ,authentication and the tunnels etc

2 I am not sure the vpn is sitting behind a firewall or not but that might not be the issue because there are other users who are able to connect with the current setup.

3 my router at home is a netgear cg814wgv2 and I have opened ports pptp (1723) & gre (47) I spoke to my ISP and they put the firmware that enables port forwarding. It does not have the vpn enable as you ask.

I can ping and tracrt to my work network. I disabed my McFee antivirus in services. I have installed vpn on another machine and reinstalled it on both machines. I have connected an ethernet cable to the router.

Comment

Put the Nortel VPN Switch 's IP to the DMZ on your Office Router.
            Or you might need to Public the WAN Port for the Nortel VPN Switch to the internet side.

Comment

Thank you for the response but I dont think it has anything to do with the switch because other users are connecting to this network form their homes. I am think this has to be something else .I chenged my tcp/ip setting from dynamic to static the other day and I got error 800. Does anyone know if the router (netgear cg814wgv2) firmware 3.9.26 I am using is good. I have ports 1723,500 and 47 open. Can anyone relate to my problem. I use cable as my isp and they have directed me to netgear and in turn they have directed me to cable so there is not much help from them.

Comment

Have you tried putting your home PC on the home router DMZ, or bypassing it altogether?
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Maybe something here will help:

http://help.orange.co.uk/documentDis...opValue=kb6081

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                    Have you tried putting your home PC on the home router DMZ, or bypassing it altogether?
                    Can you walk me through the steps of you suggestion please?

Comment

gemtleman I now have new information concerning my problem maybe this can shed some light on the issue.

1 What I was reffering to as my home router is in actual fact a modem gateway

http://netgear.com/Products/Routersa...s/CG814WG.aspx but I still can not connect. So on my home network I only have a modem gateway connected to my coax cable going into the wall (ISP) as opposed to using PSTN. I dont know if this will have any new light into my problem.

Comment

I've found VPNs are incredibly complex to configure due to the sheer amount of moving pieces and configuration parameters, especially with VPN components from different hardware and software manufactures and especially with Netgear. A few years ago I had 2 Netgear VPN routers which were a bear to get working because Netgear's own documentation of how to set them up did not work. I was never able to get the 2 Netgear hardware devices to talk to each other but I was able to get the Netgear Prosafe VPN software to talk to each of the 2 Netgear hardware devices (again using infinite googling and no adequate Netgear documentation). According to a co-worker of mine, his newer Netgear hardware was easier to configure so maybe they got their firmware and documentation worked out but nonetheless there are still a million and one things that will hamper the VPN connection. It would be most helpful if we could see your configuration on both sides including all parameters but to post that on the internet would reveal a lot more than you probably want to reveal.
                        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I am pleased to anounce I now have VPN connectivity to my office . The problem was the router. YES the netgear .It was the firmware that needed to be upgraded. My ISP though reluctant to come in to replace my router eventually came through and alas we replaced the router with the same hardware but I guess it had a problem with the firmware not updating to the latest version as the new one managed to do. I appreciate everyone's input who replied to this thread. See next time
                          Last edited by tmel173; 12th August 2008, 15:51. Reason: to give a thorough description of the resolution

Comment

Working...
                          X