Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting a DI-524 router for RDC

Hi,
    I'm trying to set my system, WinXP Pro (SP2) connected to ADSL via an Edimax modem and a DI-524 wireless router to accept Remote Desktop Connection.
    The computer has a dynamic IP, but I've provided it with a NO-IP static address.
    Whenever I try to connect, I get the following response:

This computer can't connect to the remote computer
    Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator.

Well, I;m the owner of both computers and I wonder what blocks communication.

Re: Setting a DI-524 router for RDC

Originally posted by chermesh View Post
    Hi,
    I'm trying to set my system, WinXP Pro (SP2) connected to ADSL via an Edimax modem and a DI-524 wireless router to accept Remote Desktop Connection.
    Are both the Edimax and the DI-524 performing NAT?

The computer has a dynamic IP, but I've provided it with a NO-IP static address.
    What does "a NO-IP static address" mean?
    You should configure the internal computer with a static IP address and forward port 3389 to it.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      Are both the Edimax and the DI-524 performing NAT?

What does "a NO-IP static address" mean?
      You should configure the internal computer with a static IP address and forward port 3389 to it.
      The modem is connected to my ISP and the DI-524 router is the source for all my home computers.

As to no-ip, this is a service (a free option) which provides a pseudo static IP. The way it does it is by assigning a computer an internet address and by keeping a connection with the computer and updating the the constant address with the dynamic IP changes.

Now, I'm quite perplexed. Temporarily, I connected my pc directly to the Edimax modem. This allowed me to do a port forwarding for the 3389 port. The configuration was updated, but I'm still finding my pc blocked on port 3389. I checked my windows firewall, and remote desktop connection is defined as an exception (on port 3389).

What else can block this port? it's not the firewall, and I tend to believe it's not the modem.

Comment

Ah, I just looked up No-IP. It's a DDNS service.

OK, you still need to give that computer a static IP address on your internal network and forward port 3389 to it.

The NO-IP should be registering the external IP address of the modem.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X