Cable modem connected to Ethernet port for ADSL wireless router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable modem connected to Ethernet port for ADSL wireless router

I am using a Motorola cable modem (one USB port and one Ethernet port) to access the net. I would like to connect that to a router; to share the network.

Right now I do not have a router (i.e. one Ethernet WAN port , and 4 Ethernet LAN ports) to do a sharing, because with this type of router the connection straight forward

But I have got two ADSL Wireless modem routers (NETGEAR DG834G V1and LinkSys WAG54G V2.0 (RJ 11 port and 4 Ethernet LAN ports)

Can I use one of those ADSL Wireless modem routers ? and connect my motorola modem cable to one of its LAN Ethernet port ? does it have any drawback ?

Re: Cable modem connected to Ethernet port for ADSL wireless router

It all depends on if any of the ADSL routers have a RJ45 WAN port. AFAIK all ADSL is accessed via an RJ11 connection which is connected to a normal BT (Or Whatever) telephone line. If your ADSL router has an RJ45 WAN port then give it a try, but I've never seen an ADSL modem with an RJ45 wan port.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

but I've never seen an ADSL modem with an RJ45 wan port.
      Yes same as mine they do not RJ45 wan port, therefore my question was can we use RJ45 LAN port when we do not RJ45 wan port ?

Comment

Originally posted by zillah View Post
        Yes same as mine they do not RJ45 wan port, therefore my question was can we use RJ45 LAN port when we do not RJ45 wan port ?
        I've never seen it done this way and really dont think it will work.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Michael

Comment

The Vigor 2820n has both rj11 as rj45 for WAN ports.
            You can check that out.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X