Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Port Forwarding or add a new RDP listening port to Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555031
    The above was This tip was written and submitted by Daniel Petri - http://www.petri.com.

My Goal: Be able to access from home more than one workstation at work.
    My router has port 3389 listening and that works for one workstation, but I would like to be able to access a second workstation, which would require another listening port, say 3390. (I can reassign 3389 to the 2nd machine in the router but that is too much work). I can tweak the registry to open another port 3390 but yet I can not access utilize it. It seems the OS only will work thru 3389.

My Question: Daniels remedy looks like it is designed to work only form within the LAN itself and not using a public IP address as I would need to use when accessing from home to work. Is it even possible to utilize, at the same time, two port forwarding ports in the router?

Example: I want to RDP into each workstation:

Public IP 216.175.87.248 to be used in RDP (MSTSC) at home

router:
    1. 3389-3389 192.168.1.116
    2. 3390-3390 192.168.1.107

Is this even possible?

Re: Multiple Port Forwarding or add a new RDP listening port to Windows

Yup, it's posible. Here's how:

Forward port 3389 to the port number 3389 on PC1 whose IP is 192.168.1.116Forward port 3390 to the port number 3389 on PC2 whose IP is 192.168.1.107
    Forward port 3391 to the port number 3389 on PC3 whose IP is 192.168.1....
    and so on..

Now, how do you RDP to any given chosen PC? Well, run the following, where publicip is the public IP address of your router and is separated from the port number by a colon:
    Code:
    mstsc /v:publicip:3390
    will take you to PC2 whereas

Code:
    mstsc /v:publicip:3389
    will take you to PC1

You do not need to tweak the registry on the PC.

Port forwarding several listening ports all to 3389 on several different PCs is an easy list, not too much work. Can be done in 5 minutes, no problem.

Your PCs need fixed local IP addresses, or reservations in DHCP.

Tip: run
    Code:
    mstsc /?
    for a full list of options
    Last edited by PaulH; 8th March 2008, 21:44.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
      Yup, it's posible. Here's how:

Forward port 3389 to the port number 3389 on PC1 whose IP is 192.168.1.116
      Forward port 3390 to the port number 3389 on PC2 whose IP is 192.168.1.107
      Forward port 3391 to the port number 3389 on PC3 whose IP is 192.168.1....
      and so on..

Now, how do you RDP to any given chosen PC? Well, run the following, where publicip is the public IP address of your router and is separated from the port number by a colon:
      Code:
      mstsc /v:publicip:3390
      will take you to PC2 whereas

Code:
      mstsc /v:publicip:3389
      will take you to PC1

You do not need to tweak the registry on the PC.

Port forwarding several listening ports all to 3389 on several different PCs is an easy list, not too much work. Can be done in 5 minutes, no problem.

Your PCs need fixed local IP addresses, or reservations in DHCP.

Tip: run
      Code:
      mstsc /?
      for a full list of options

Thanks so much for the quick response!

>>Forward port 3390 to the port number 3389 on PC2 whose IP is 192.168.1.107<<

Following your directions above, exactly, I hope, this change fails to hold in my router. My router sees the overlap (of 3389) and won't let me??

In other words, I can't change the .107 to 3390-3389, it won't save!?

Start:3390
      End: 3389

My router says connections saved, but then returns Start: 3389 and End: 3390! Ahrggg.

Addendum: Nope, just won't cooperate and work when directed to 3390. (Of course 3389 works). It appears that when I use 3389 twice, even with a separate workstation, the setting is ignored and does not work. An ipconfig of each workstation re-confirms that the IP addresses listed here remain correct. This may be a Linksys Router issue, in that my Linksys G WRT54GS ONLY allows for one opening using port 3389? I called Cisco/Linksys and their over seas tech support wants to charge me to answer that question, because this router, which works fine otherwise, is over a year old. Maybe the OS forbids the use of anything but 3389 to listen for RDP?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
      Last edited by cmwilkerson; 11th March 2008, 06:55. Reason: Testing complete

Comment

By the way, you don't have to quote my entire post in your post.

Now, you say it just won't cooperate and work when directed to 3390 - this is the wrong way around. Redirect the various different ports to the various PCs IP addresses port 3389
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.

Comment

Ok here are some more thoughts to try and put you in the picture regarding ports:

1. You do not open ports. You use port forwarding. The difference is that open ports directs all traffic for any give port to the same port on the destination computer, whereas port forwarding can change the port number as well, so that traffic on port x can be sent to the listening port y on the destination computer.

2. You do not use different start and end ports. You port forward only ONE port (you choose which one), to ONE other port (3389) on the destination PC. Then, you add a whole brand new entry in the list to forward another port of your choice to 3389 on a different PC.

3. You comment about the OS not being able to listen on any different port than 3389 - well, although it can, we are not trying to do that here, in fact, the whole point is that we are trying to avoid doing that. So we are port forwarding a range of ports of our choice onto port 3389 on various different PCs.

4. You say you are configuring your router - configure the router of the destination network. All this "Port forwarding" stuff happens on the router of the network of the PCs that you want to control, the destination, in other words, all the PCs are listening on port 3389. You are hitting the router with RDP traffic on port xyz (your choice), which the router forwards to 3389 on a specific PC. Then 10 minutes later, you can later use RDP on a port abc, which the router forwards to 3389 on a different PC. Hence, you get to control two PCs.

Does that help a bit?
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

Hi Paul,

>>Forward port 3390 to the port number 3389 on PC2 whose IP is 192.168.1.107
            <<

Here is exactly what I have:

Vista Server 3389-3389 192.168.1.116
            XP Server 3389- 3390 192.168.1.107

If I attempt to change the XP machine (D2 no-ip at .107) to 3390-3389, the settings won't save and default back to what you see in the picture.
            Note the "yellow," in the first box only. It is as if that is the ONLY port that will work.

Am I not able to see the forest thru the trees?
            Last edited by cmwilkerson; 11th March 2008, 15:59.

Comment

Can you post a screenshot of the actual port forwarding page in the router?
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.

Comment

You may have better luck trying to use port triggering (assuming your firmware supports it).

Ryan

Comment

Can you post a screenshot of the actual port forwarding page in the router?
                  Done. See below.

Comment

there's nothing below as far as I can see.... but then I have just had an eye operation
                    Best wishes,
                    PaulH.

Comment

For "below", read "above" ?
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok I got it now. For some reason, that image wasn't displaying on my view, but I did a refresh and hey presto it appears! So it was there all along, my apologies. I'll have a look...

Right, this "Port range forward" works differently to simple port forwarding where you have a one-to-one port-to-different-port forward. So what you want to do is delete those entries, because it looks like you cannot specify the destination port as being different on that screen. What that screen is showing is really "Open Ports" as I described in an earlier post, where the ports are not changed en route. So the ports specified on that screen are pushed onto the SAME destination ports on the PC which is why it won't let you have more than one 3389.

So what you need in the linksys (if it has it) is a screen where you can translate the port number 3390 to 3389 (on PC2) and then have another line where you can translate a port 3389 to 3389 (on PC1). Is there such a configuration screen on a linksys?

you need this:

Code:
                        Port Forwarding

Port Number      Destination Port    Destination IP Address
                        3389                 3389              192.168.1.116
                        3390                 3389              192.168.1.107
                        Maybe the linksys doesn't do that, I don't know! In which case you will have to fiddle with the registry on the PC 192.168.1.107, which I can also help with, but your original post said you didn't want to do that. So do let me know and if you like, I can help with the registry setting that you may need instead of doing proper port forwarding.
                        Best wishes,
                        PaulH.

Comment

Is this screen of value? Heck, I'd even buy a new router to make this easier. I have two Belkin N router and another Linksys GSRX MIMO and it appears that none of these will work. I don't want to mess with the Vista registry, but I have no qualms about changing the registry in the XP machine, if that is what it takes.

My ultimate goal is to to acquire two free static IP addresses, eg. No-Ip.com or DynDNS, that will take the place of my publicip address. When complete, I will save the address in my browser bookmarks and with a single click, I am in the computer of choice.

Last edited by cmwilkerson; 12th March 2008, 14:11.

Comment

Yes that's the one. Spot on!
                            Best wishes,
                            PaulH.

Comment

Yes that's the one. Spot on!

Thanks! Now can you clarify exactly what I am to do with this screen?

Comment

Working...
                              X