Forgotten WPA Encryption Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgotten WPA Encryption Code

I have a home LAN which links my desktop to my laptop through a DSL modem to a Linksys router either wirelessly or hard wired.

The other day , after installaing some software which synchronises files and folders between both machines , I lost the wireless link between the machines.

Whether this failure is being caused as a result of this software installation , I cannot be certain but , so far , although I can link both PC's by wired connection , I am unable to restore the wireless link.

The laptop "sees" the wireless connection , i.e. it detects its presence and the signal strenth is good as it was before this problem .

I think the encryption password may have , somehow, become corrupted and all attempts to re-install what I think is the correct encryption password have so far failed.

If either the original encryption password has been corrupted and/or I have failed to memorise it correctly in order to re-enter it , is it possible to delete the present wireless connection and set-up a different one with a new encryption password.

I have XP Pro on both machines .

Re: Forgotten WPA Encryption Code

can you still logon to the router?

if so, disable all security features of the router and try to connect via the wlan adapter.

go back and try the software without WPA... did this fix the problem?

if it works without WPA, then reset the preshared key for WPA and re-enable it.

how bout now?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      can you still logon to the router?
      I'm not sure if I fully understand you here. Do you mean , can I access the router from the laptop by typing the address "192.168.1.1"?

If so then , no I cannot. I can only do this with the wired connection and then it asks for a router password. I was sure I had saved this password but any variations entered don't seem to work .

Could this be the problem , perhaps ? i.e. the laptop wireless connection is unable to access the router ?

if so, disable all security features of the router
      How do I do this ? I have a Linksys WRT54GS router . I believe I return to the issued password by means of a button on the back of the router .

and try to connect via the wlan adapter.
      By "wlan adapter" do you mean the DSL modem?

I'm also not sure how to cancel WPA - do I just delete the named wireless connection and then re-create another without entering any encryption ?

Sorry about all the questions here but I'm beginning to think that the problem may be with a corrupted router code .

I'll try a few things and get back to you
      Last edited by Wired; 27th December 2007, 21:28. Reason: fixed quote BBCODE

Comment

I'd reset the router and set it up from scratch.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
          I'm not sure if I fully understand you here. Do you mean , can I access the router from the laptop by typing the address "192.168.1.1"?
          umm... i mean that from a computer that is using a physical link, can you logon to the web interface of the router? yes, you will use the gateway address to logon, unless you have specified a different address for admin control. 192.168.1.1 is a good place to start... its the default gateway address and admin page for a good deal of home routers.

By "wlan adapter" do you mean the DSL modem?
          no. i mean the WIRELESS LOCAL AREA NETWORK adapter... otherwise known as your wireless card silly.

How do I do this ? I have a Linksys WRT54GS router . I believe I return to the issued password by means of a button on the back of the router .

I'm also not sure how to cancel WPA - do I just delete the named wireless connection and then re-create another without entering any encryption ?

id just follow wired's instructions.
          Originally posted by Wired View Post
          I'd reset the router and set it up from scratch.

thats probably your best bet. this time, right your passwords down.

to reset the router you have, you must:

1. hold down the reset button on the back for 5 seconds...
          2. unplug the router while still holding the button down.
          3. continue holding the button down after unplugging the router and count to 3
          4. plug the router back in and release the button.

it should be back to its default settings now. you should be back to start.

i think the default for your router is:
          u/n: *blank*
          passwd: admin
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I would like to refer to my original post in this reply.

As a result of the advice received here following from this post and subsequent actions of mine , I appear to have solved this problem.

When these puzzling failures suddenly happen after months of faultless behaviour , in addition to the primary need to solve them , I , and I'm sure others in similar situations , would additionally like to know why they occurred in the first place !

All I can tell you here , unfortunately , is what I did to get my wireless connectivity back.

As mentioned in my original post , this failure happened soon after I had installed and used software designed to synchronise folders and files between my desktop and my networked laptop. I could never be certain that this was the cause of the problem but , before attempting the measures usually employed to regain connectivity, I wanted to eliminate the existence of any possible effects resulting from this software ( "Toy Sync" ).

To do this I returned both machines to a time before the installation of this Application by means of previously created Image Files.

This action did not immediately bring any improvement but , after removing the encription installed in both the router and the laptop wireless network card , I regained wireless connectivity to the web and also the ability to network both machines.

I then replaced this encription and the necessary Key on both the router and the network card - again with success.

These above two actions were kindly suggested by one of the people who replied to my O.P.

Some people reading this might reasonably say that these actions should have been employed straight away thus saving a lot of hassle! One of the reasons I didn't do this was that , although not mentioned in subsequent posts of mine to this thread , in my efforts to resolve things , I discovered that the connectivity between both machines had also affected the hard wired connection causing a breakdown there in the networking connection. That additional fact reaffirmed my suspicion that the use of the Sync Toy App was a possible cause of the trouble - hence my use of the Image Files in an attempt to eliminate this.
            As to why this happened in the first place - I , unfortunately , cannot definitely pin it down to any specific event - perhaps the use of "Toy Sync " caused some corruption but I cannot definitely say that is what happened .

I'm putting it down to just another of those " computer things ! "

However , I'd like to take this oportunity to thank all who replied and helped with their advice and I hope that my experience here may be of help to others in a similar frustrating circumstance.

Comment

Fixed but not solved, 'tis one of those annoying things.

Thanks for posting back with the steps you took in fixing your problem. You should also be congratulated on your forsight by creating images before installing the possibly troublesome software. Well done!!
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X