Accessing a LAN Network ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing a LAN Network ?

My desktop and laptop are networked wirelessly through a LAN in which my desktop is linked to the Web through the phone line to a ZyXEL DSL modem and from there to a Linksys WRT54GS router and thence wirelessly to the laptop.

I have protected both the ZyCEL modem and the router with strong passwords .

My grandson now has a laptop as well as his own desktop linked wirelessly to each other. He lives separately from me in his mothers house and is able to access the Web there from either of his two PC's.

When he visits me he would like to access the Web through my wireless LAN.

The problem is that I now have forgotten what password is necessary in order for him to access my LAN.

Which password must I give him to enable this access ? Is it the ZyCEL modem password or the Linksys router password or both ?

I've tried both or , at least , what I think are both but have not been able to gain access for his laptop .

I know I can return both the DSL modem and the Linksys router to the factory password selections in order to obtain this access but I'm reluctant to go to the hassle of changing both of these .

In this case of having forgotten the settings , must I revert both the modem AND the router to the factory settings or is it only necessary to change one ? If so , which one ?

Re: Accessing a LAN Network ?

It should be the Linksys password only.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hopefully it will be the Linksys WPA (WPA2) encryption key and not a password.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Hopefully it will be the Linksys WPA (WPA2) encryption key and not a password.
        Thanks for the reply. I think you're correct in that comment.

This problem has really been resolved for me due to my experiences described in this Forum in an associated post on a different but not unrelated problem.

Comment

Good you have it resolved. It is also a good learning experience working out the problem and then fixing. It is also fun (if it doesn't get too frustrating )

Hope you chose a secure passphrase for your key and it is now nice and secure.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X