Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to access my adsl modem

Hi,

I have a problem to interact (need open some ports) with my adsl modem (xavi x8024r). This modem is provided by my ISP and they do not distribute the information I need (common situation in southamerica where I am located).

Som info:
    Connection: PPPoE

The ethernetcard connected to the modem displays the following:

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.105.147
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

First question: what is the ip-number of the modem? I have tried to access the modem config interface from IE with numerous ip adresses such as 192.168.1.1 which supposedly is the factory configured ip. All these attempts just results in a "page cannot be displayed". Doing the same via telnet just says connection failed. It seems I should at least get a login dialog screen (I do have some usernames and passwords to try but does not even get that far).

Can anybody suggest a way to move forward with this problem?
    Thanks.

Re: need to access my adsl modem

Something is not ok with DHCP, your ethernetcard should have a IP address other than the 169.254.xxx.xxx (AKA APIPA)
    once you get that figured out that the gateway info will have an IP address. That will be your IP to connect to.

On the other hand some configurations put the modem in bridge mode and then you authenticate on your computer. and then there is nothing on the modem that would be of interest.

I guess the big questions is can you get online at all?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Hmm, interesting. Are you sure this cannot be by design? I am almost completely sure that I have had this 169... ip since the guy from the isp installed it.

My internet connection is working very well, at least I get the speed I am paying for. It is only with p2p software (azureus) it seems not to be working very well (some upnp problem I think and I would like open some ports for it)

When I think about it I probably should give more info about my ethernet cards (I have 2 cards)

Ethernet adapter TelsurNIC:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
      Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (NGRPCI

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
      Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
      Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.105.147
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Ethernet adapter MyNetwork:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC
      anagement NIC (3C905C-TX)
      Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
      IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

PPP adapter Telsur:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
      Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
      IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 201.???.???.?? [--> actual ip edited away]
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 201.???.???.??
      DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.???.???.??
      216.???.???.??
      NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
      Last edited by Magnyz; 19th December 2007, 00:52.

Comment

Your computer appears to be getting its internet connection elsewhere; a 169.254.x.x address is automatically configured by a DCHP Client adapter which cannot contact a DHCP server - in other words it gives itself an IP address so that you can contact it if you need to by using a remote adapter on the same subnet. These IP addresses are NOT USED for day-to-day IP communication and I doubt very much that your NETGEAR connection has EVER worked.

I would disconnect your WAN interface and your other network card in turn and see where your internet connection is coming from - it's not from your Netgear. With these disconnected you can effectively troubleshoot your Netgear.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you but I have only one adsl-modem in the house and this modem has an ethernet cable to my Netgear card. From my 3Com-card the cable goes to a small hub which is my local network. And, I use internet without problem.

I respect your opinion that something is wrong and the only thing I can think of is that this is setup this way by the isp to obscure the connection to the modem. They don't want people to access their modem and if they can find ways to make it difficult I am sure they will.

Comment

If the modem belongs to the ISP and they have "cloaked" it in some way to prevent you accessing it then I can assist you no further. One thing though; ADSL modems do not as a rule (at least, as far as I know) incorporate port filtering and NAT. If we were talking routers, then I would agree but ADSL modems are not generally doubling as firewalls.
            Last edited by Stonelaughter; 19th December 2007, 12:45.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Thanks for your attention to this.

I do not know what my isp has done and not done. I can only suspect. What I do know is that they cannot give me login-information to the modem which is their property. The reason for my post in the first place was to try to figure out what is going on with this modem and if it is possible to access it by being smarter about it. Maybe it just aint possible and I should give it up.

I have just assumed that the modem config has interfered with my p2p software (azureus) and also the new iptv service Joost. Azureus works but with a continous flow of error messages and Joost doesn't work at all.

If the modem doesn't close any ports and I have no router can I then just open the ports in the windows firewall then?

It is obvious I am not an expert so please bare with me.
              Thanks.

Comment

If you're running Windows Firewall that would, to be honest, be my first port of call. However I have never used it (being a Staunch Zone Alarm Pro Fan(c)(tm)) so I would not know how to configure it properly for opening certain ports.

I would recommend you leave your modem well alone seeing as it's their property - messing with it until it no longer works may cost you a lot of money and a connection!

I'll contact Sorinso and see if he knows Windows Firewall any better than I.

Tom

Comment

Connect modem into the switch and then connect the Netgear card to the switch. There should be no need for you to have one NIC for the modem and a seperate NIC to connect to the switch.

Working the present way there would need to be a routing entry for the modem (using the Netgear NIC ) to connect to the 3Com NIC and hence the switch. It is also possible that the DHCP server in the modem has been configured to use the 169.254.x.x IP range.

Try Modem ---> Switch ---> Netgear NIC and see how that works. You can always change it back to the way it was if it doesn't work.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Somebody called?
                    (Sorry, Stonelaughter, for being so late... )

Well, Magnyz. Odd issue here...
                    What else do you have on your local network? What is the purpose of the hub in your set-up? (The net biggles described is the correct set-up for what I think you have there, but need your answers before I'll be sure about it. But for this to work, you need a router - meaning, no dialer on your machine).
                    I am not absolutely sure your modem is only a modem and does not has any routing abilities. There are a lot of them out there that the ISPs are not willing to "upgrade" to full routers. My old Alcatel is such.
                    And another thing about my dear modem. It does have a very primitive NAT included. A lot of times I got "LowID" in another well known P2P application, and I solved it with its internal NAT. Not that I am using it anymore...
                    Please answer the questions so far and we'll see where to go from there...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -
                    «««««

Comment

Hi Sorinso,

Thanks for running to my help.

>What else do you have on your local network?
                      In addition to the pc connected to the modem, I have 2 laptops and a another desktop in the network. The hub is just a small 4-port Netgear FE-104.

>What is the purpose of the hub in your set-up?
                      Hmm, to get my other pc's connected. I have setup internet connection sharing through my main pc.

>I am not absolutely sure your modem is only a modem and
                      >does not has any routing abilities.

I found the following explanatory text about the modem (xavi 8024r). The modem is a multi-mode ADSL Router. It provides high speed internet via one WAN port over ATM over ADSL. Seems you are correct ... this is not just a modem.

/Magnus

Comment

Well, Tom asked so nicely, I couldn't say no
                        Now, regarding you modem:
                        Take a look at this link: http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache...=uk&lr=lang_en
                        It is the HTML version of the X8121 User Manual in PDF (the link to the PDF popped out when I searched xavi x8024r configuration in , among (only few) other things. The PDF was unavailable though, so I went to the HTML version. Take a look and see if it helps in any way. You have there the default username and password for the modem, it might be the same for your model. But...
                        If your ISP configured it this way, messing with it might get you in trouble.
                        I would call the ISP, tell them you want the router running because you want a local network (tell them you have a hub) and see what they have to say about it. As biggles said, in your set-up, you should make the modem a router, connect the hub to it and all other computers directly to the hub. This is the best way to do it, the way you have it has a lot of drawbacks (starting with need of two NICs and that no other computer can get to the Net if your computer did not dialed out).
                        Keep us posted about the outcome.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                        -
                        «««««

Comment

Hi again,

Thanks for the link.

>You have there the default username and password for the modem
                          The problem is that I cannot even reach a login dialog. When using IE I just get "page cannot be displayed" and when using telnet it is "connection failed". Should I use the 169... adress when trying to connect or? The default ip (as in manual) does not work either.

>tell them you want the router running because you want a local network
                          Turns out that I have to connect the modem directly to a pc because the modem is locked to the mac adress of the pc. Where I am located (south america) it is popular to divide the contracts into single user and multiple user contracts. I have a single user and they will therefore not assist in connecting to a hub. FYI, customer service does not exist where I am and it is perfectly ok to treat a customer like an annoying individual that disturbs the coffee break .

Seems I am stuck. The only thing I wanted to accomplish is to open some ports ... not so easy it seems.

Comment

Hmmmm... Is it really Costa Rica? Nice country, but this doesn't make any difference at the moment, does it?
                            The big issue is that you cannot access the modem at all. You do have (in the document I gave you, page 62) the NAT configuration process, but how the h**l to get to it in the first place?
                            I am not sure that altering the initial set-up is legal and/or acceptable from your ISP's point of view. By doing this you might get yourself in bigger troubles.
                            I'm out of ideas. I'm just Vulcan, you know, not a prophet

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                            -
                            «««««

Comment

It is Chile ... I am not chilean however.

If I was able to get into the modem I would not hesitate to change anything that may benefit my goals. I would not worry if they would be annoyed about that or that I may potentially screw up things more ...

Since a "Vulcan" cannot solve it I give up hands down.

Thanks anyway, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X