Need Help with my network configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with my network configuration

I have just got ADSL connection the ISP has given me a NB1300 PLUS 4 which has a built in router, my problem is that I have 3 laptops and they are all connected to it and are happly working and having access to the internet, the problem is this how do I introduce a printer in the equation and have all laptops able to print. do I need anything else,
    pls help

What are the operating systems on all the laptops?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

need help with my network configuration

All Laptops are running on window XP

Comment

1) you 'could' get a TCP/IP compliant printer, and plug this into the ethernet port of the Netcomm NB1300+, and then set the IP of the printer to the same Address mask as the network, point the Laptops to a virtual IP printer port, and it should all be working.

2) Alternatively, you can plug a normal printer into a laptop (the laptop you would preffer to be the server for the others, which would also be the laptop that would be onsite the most), then set the printer/file sharing to share the printer, and then install a "network printer" onto the other 2 laptops to use this printer as a network device.

Option 1 will cost a little more, as IP compliant printers are usually priced slightly higher, but it will mean each laptop will have a "virtual local printer port" and be able to connect without the requirement of another laptop (server laptop).

Option 2 is cheaper, and easy to implement, but then you need to dedicate a laptop to the network, which defeats the purpose of a portable machine, it also means if your "dedicated server" goes down, you loose the printer from the rest of the computers.

B.

Comment

To add to Brian's options, number 3.
          You could get one of these little doo hickeys and connect the printer to it. I have a Netgear FR114P so my Samsung CLP500 acts as a network printer. (saved about $300 on the network version of this printer). There are many print server options available. http://www.google.com.au/search?q=%2...rt=10&sa=N
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X