Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALCATEL SpeedTouch home and VPN

Hi all,

With my ALCATEL SpeedTouch home modem, converted to "pro" version, I can connect to my office modem, using VPN and VPN software called SoftRemote. But after the connexion nothing happens !

I've heard about "VPN pass through" feature. Does the ALCATEL ST home can have this feature ? Is it possible to use this modem vor VPN use ?

Any tip / experience about this could help !

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers,

Cyril

Re: ALCATEL SpeedTouch home and VPN

Originally posted by Cyril
    With my ALCATEL SpeedTouch home modem, converted to "pro" version, I can connect to my office modem, using VPN and VPN software called SoftRemote. But after the connexion nothing happens !

I've heard about "VPN pass through" feature. Does the ALCATEL ST home can have this feature ? Is it possible to use this modem vor VPN use ?
    I'll take the points one by one.

My understanding is that the Alcatel Speedtouch Pro does not support VPN pass-thru when it is setup as a router. Depending how you have your "tweaked/converted" ST Home configured, it probably is not supporting VPN pass-thru if you have left it in STPRO default mode (routed).

The STHome does not need to support VPN Pass-thru, as it is a modem or bridge, not a router. It acts very much like your standard modem, with no real intelligence. If you have tweaked the STHome to a pro version, it really can not longer be called a SThome. If you are searching for information, you should be looking purely under STPro.

Last but not least. Daniel on his site, somewhere, has the information for upgrading from the Alcatel STPRO to the Alcatel Speedtouch 510. From the rather scarce information on the 510, it is supposed to support VPN Passthru. I have completed the upgrade and it went very smoothly, with so far no ill-effects. I now need to test VPN Passthru, which at the time of writing, I have not.

I converted my STPRO on the basis that I was prepared to buy a new router if it stuffed up, as I need one that supports VPN passthru. If you are not in a similar position to purchase another router, I suggest holding off and learning how to put the STPRO (Tweaked) back to a STHOME or learn how to implement bridging on the STPRO (basicially what the SThome was only capable of doing)

If you want a little more information on SThome and STPRO, have a look at http://www.netintegrity.com.au/tutorial/webindex.html which uses plain english to describe the two devices.

Regards

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob, I first need to reset my modem, that I cannont for several days. But like you, if I caonnot manage to reset and switch my modem to pro or 510 verison, I'm ready to buy on new one. Best regards,

Cyril

Comment

Working...
      X