Want to set up router.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dtshah54
    started a topic Want to set up router.....

Want to set up router.....

Want to set up router.

I have a static IP address (192.168.1.34). Is it possible just with the help of static IP address to join a router in an existing network or no?
    (This on my Belkin wireless G adapter)

I don't have modem information like user name, password. Just I have static IP and existing dns server address and in "dns suffix search list", I can see 2 different dns address, in that one is my own dns server address and other one is main dns server address. Is it possible to add a router in an existing network? Trying to add one more router i.e. "Linksys wireless N Broadband Router"?

Is it possible?

DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1
    192.168.1.1 (2 DNS servers IP address)

“DHCP Server” and “Default Gateway” IP address I can see just one.

abc.msft is my dns server and the other dns server is “sweethome.west.com”

I was thinking like 192.168.1.34 I will make as interface Serial and for interface Ethernet assign some other IP address and make it as NAT or whatever....... Is it possible to do this

Please help me with this!!!

• dtshah54
    replied
    Re: Want to set up router.....

Thanks all.

For now I had returned that Linksys....... and may be in near future will try Cisco.....

Thanks again for all quick responses and suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Dumber
    replied

The top left router which already placed will we call Router A.
    The router you want to add will be called router B.

Router A gives address leases in subnet 192.168.1.0/24 right?
    So router B schould give other addresses then Router A for example 192.168.2.0/24

If Router A wont give DHCP addresses you should give the WAN interface of Router B a static address in the subnet 192.168.1.0/24
    Also set router B's Gateway to the internal address of router A (eg 192.168.1.1)

On the Internal interface of Router B you should give an ipaddress from the subnet 192.168.2.0/24
    Make a DHCP pool which gives addreses of 192.168.2.0/24 for the newly added network.

Now for internet you should use NAT if only IPaddresses of the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet are allowed to use the internet.
    If the subnet 192.168.2.0/24 may also use the internet, you also can use routing.
    I don't know which devices you use but please look at the manual for that.

I hope made myself clear.
    Btw, this is not a case study or something for a CCNA. Other products then Cisco won't help you.

Leave a comment:

• dtshah54
    replied

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
    finally a drawing
    ok, next question, why making it so hard for youreself?
    Everyone want to learn and finds the way that's why

Leave a comment:

• Dumber
    replied

finally a drawing
    ok, next question, why making it so hard for youreself?

Leave a comment:

• biggles77
    replied

Anyone viewing this thread, read the words in the above post but use the drawing in this one as it is identical to the one in the Word attachment. Saves having to open the Word document.

This is what you should have done. Took 3 minutes in MS Paint and it means anyone looking at the drawing doesn't have to open an inconvenient Word document.

Click image for larger version

Name:	simple_drawing_01.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	463302
    Last edited by biggles77; 14th September 2007, 23:19. Reason: Yes, I know the router symbol is wrong.

Leave a comment:

• dtshah54
    replied

Is this possible with Linksys Router?

I know. I will try with Cisco sometime later. But this is like basic and if is it possible then I can think of Cisco..... Add sometime later in this.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dumber
    replied

I don't care where you make you're drawing into it.
    Even it you use paint

Leave a comment:

• dtshah54
    replied

Originally posted by Maebe View Post
    Hi dtshah54,
    I don't mean to be telling you your business but you may want to build up to a CCNA and not have it as an immediate goal.
    For now get comfortable with Networking.
    There are many helpful sites that might help point you in the right direction:
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/homenetworking/a/homenetguide.htm
    http://www.directron.com/howtobuilhom.html part 5 of this will be very good for you with this current scenario. You may not even need us after this one.
    And Wiki is always great:
    Computer Networking
    Computer Network
    TCP/IP
    OSI model

---------------------------//---------------------------
    As for this problem, now I will be the one crying.
    You were trying to add one more router? Now one router is a modem? And your home PC in someone elses house is a server?

Don't worry, just give us a clear picture of your setup and explain what you would like done. It may or not be possible though.
    I will visit these web sites. Thanks.

Actually I am staying in someone’s place and that owner giving me internet connection. Owner has DSL and through DSL he is giving me internet connection. When I always try on command prompt normally find same static IP for my wireless adapter and for my Ethernet NIC card. I think owner has created an alert on this Ethernet NIC card. Before when I was going on internet that time if I disable Ethernet NIC card then I can't able to go on internet but now a days if I disable Ethernet nic then too it's works fine and able to go on internet.

This is like just with the help of 2 static IP address if I can configure a Linksys router. This is just a try. Not sure whether it's possible or not.

I am not expert in drawing. I had opened “Power Point” but don’t know where and how I will find pictures. If some one guide me through then I will try to make a drawing so it will much clear scenario.

Leave a comment:

• Dumber
    replied

I'm a CCNA and i'm completely lost you. Why are you using some other kind of device than a Cisco Device for study purposes???? Search e-Bay and find some nice cisco devices. About 3 switches and 3 routers will do the job.

Although Linksys (for example) carries the Cisco Logo it's still not a real Cisco product. Cisco bought Linksys, but they didn't put the IOS or Cat OS into it.
    Linksys is a daughter of the Cisco company.
    So Linksys does not have the futhers of Cisco.

Also adding a router had nothing to do with you're Current Network setup.
    Where do you want to place the router?
    After an another router? after a RRAS server for example.
    How did you plug the cable into it?
    Do you want a router on a stick? (lollypop)
    Does the router needs to do NAT?
    Do you want the router to route?
    how is the client connected?
    Are there Any ACL's needed?
    Is wireless needed?
    etcetcetc...
    The most of these questions would be answered in a simple drawing.

Leave a comment:

• Maebe
    replied

Hi dtshah54,
    I don't mean to be telling you your business but you may want to build up to a CCNA and not have it as an immediate goal.
    For now get comfortable with Networking.
    There are many helpful sites that might help point you in the right direction:
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/homenetworking/a/homenetguide.htm
    http://www.directron.com/howtobuilhom.html part 5 of this will be very good for you with this current scenario. You may not even need us after this one.
    And Wiki is always great:
    Computer Networking
    Computer Network
    TCP/IP
    OSI model

As for this problem, now I will be the one crying.
    You were trying to add one more router? Now one router is a modem? And your home PC in someone elses house is a server?

Don't worry, just give us a clear picture of your setup and explain what you would like done. It may or not be possible though.

Leave a comment:

• biggles77
    replied

If you want to use this as practice for your CCNA, then you need to go and get a Cisco Router and not some Linksys device.

Do as Dumber suggests and MAKE a drawing of your setup. This post was confusing to start with....now it is worse.

I am thinking the OP has a modem and is NOT connecting it to the Router in the correct fashion. So, we have DHCP on a server, DHCP (possibly) on the Router and assuming an ISP supplied modem, DHCP on that as well.

dtshah54, we need some detailed info about your setup AND a drawing or this post will die from confusion.
    Last edited by biggles77; 13th September 2007, 15:27. Reason: Remove unwanted words.

Leave a comment:

• dtshah54
    replied

Originally posted by Maebe View Post
    Don't cry. It isn't that serious. You do have Internet access as it stands.

You have really lost me I'm afraid. This is a home PC or a server? You have Internet Connection Sharing on? How is the PC a DHCP server? You mean DHCP client?

Where is it showing that it is picking up an IP address?

You will not be able to without an account with an ISP. There is little point in getting one if you already have internet access for free. Also if you do get both connected to the internet you will not be able to use both at the same time.
    This is my home test server. I had configured DHCP and even created a new scope but after this I am lost. What and How to do next.

The only thing is then only my computer on this router and even in that way I am learning something. Even I need practice configuring router because even I want to do and trying to study on CCNA.

Leave a comment:

• dtshah54
    replied

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
    Again make a drawing to clarify...
    This post becomes hard to understand.

If you don't I'll stop reading this topic.
    It's simple trying adding a Router in existing network. I don't have modem information, just have Static IP information and other information as I had mentioned in thread.

Leave a comment:

• Dumber
    replied

Again make a drawing to clarify...
    This post becomes hard to understand.

If you don't I'll stop reading this topic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X