Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to set up router.....

Want to set up router.

I have a static IP address (192.168.1.34). Is it possible just with the help of static IP address to join a router in an existing network or no?
    (This on my Belkin wireless G adapter)

I don't have modem information like user name, password. Just I have static IP and existing dns server address and in "dns suffix search list", I can see 2 different dns address, in that one is my own dns server address and other one is main dns server address. Is it possible to add a router in an existing network? Trying to add one more router i.e. "Linksys wireless N Broadband Router"?

Is it possible?

DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1
    192.168.1.1 (2 DNS servers IP address)

“DHCP Server” and “Default Gateway” IP address I can see just one.

abc.msft is my dns server and the other dns server is “sweethome.west.com”

I was thinking like 192.168.1.34 I will make as interface Serial and for interface Ethernet assign some other IP address and make it as NAT or whatever....... Is it possible to do this

Please help me with this!!!

Re: Want to set up router.....

Originally posted by dtshah54 View Post
    Want to set up router.

I was thinking like 192.168.1.34 I will make as interface Serial and for interface Ethernet assign some other IP address and make it as NAT or whatever....... Is it possible to do this

Please help me with this!!!
    I think instead of interface Serial should make as Ethernet, right?

Actually I have one Ethernet port on computer and when I was trying hardwiring RJ- 45 that time slight router was blinked like one or two time. Yes, this Nic card also have static ip which I had found long time back because when I used to type “ipconfig /all” that time in alert it used to show me static ip all the time. So anyone please help with this!! Thanks!

Comment

Hi Dtshah54,
      Unfortunately I'm unsure of what you are trying to do. You wish to add a broadband router to your existing network?
      Has the existing network already got a router? WAN access?

If this is a network with no other routers or WAN access you would configure the broadband side (the external interface) of things as per your ISP's settings/instructions.
      I don't have modem information like user name, password.
      You will need this information. Have you an account with an ISP?

As for your static IP, was there instructions with your router? Is this just one PC you want internet access on or many?
      Last edited by Maebe; 11th September 2007, 15:54. Reason: Added link to Linksys info + manual on this router.
      I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
      Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

I am staying in someone's place and that owner is providing me access to internet. Owner was saying it's a one piece from Verizon i.e. I believe its modem and router is one piece from verizon. And regarding information about modem user name password, I would not get it.

Yes, for now want to try for one computer for internet access.

Comment

Is the modem/router already providing access to others to the Internet?
          It is already configured with the username, password and broadband settings?

Comment

Originally posted by Maebe View Post
            Is the modem/router already providing access to others to the Internet?
            It is already configured with the username, password and broadband settings?
            Yes, this modem/router already provides access to me and other computer to the internet. I don't know what setting have on that modem/router.

Just want to add one more Router because that too I want to add a router. Actually I was in an impression that Linksys is a "Cisco Partner" so may be using some Cisco command on this router.

Any way, first thing first want to add a router successfully.

************************************************** *******************
            If I type "ipconfig /all" on command prompt got following result -

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : glow
            Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : abc.msft
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : abc.msft
            sweethome.west.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : sweethome.west.com
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin 54g Wireless USB Network Adapter #2
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-3F-00-18-51
            DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.34
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:21:39 AM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:21:39 AM

Ethernet adapter static ip 192.168.1.100:

Media State ......................: Cable Disconnected
            Description ......................: IBM 10/100 EtherJet PCI Adapter with Alert on LAN
            Physical Address .................: 00-D6-B7-A0-4C-64

c:\>
            ************************************************** ******************
            Last edited by dtshah54; 11th September 2007, 17:07.

Comment

Got ya! I think.
              You can't do it.
              Mainly because you haven't an account with an ISP but also because Windows 2000 would not be able to decide which to use and could only use one at a time.

You have both the wired and wireless interfaces in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet though. Well that is if the Interface name is accurate.
              Disable your current Wireless connection then plug in your own router. You should now be able to connect to it and configure it. Configure it to be on a different subnet and if a DHCP server configure it to give out IP addresses in that new subnet else reconfigure your ethernet NICs static IP. Then you will be able to connect to the internet as normal and have access to your own router.

Comment

please make a drawing how you want to setup this.
                I really don't understand anything of what you want
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Got ya! I think.
                  You can't do it.

Disable your current Wireless connection then plug in your own router. You should now be able to connect to it and configure it. Configure it to be on a different subnet and if a DHCP server configure it to give out IP addresses in that new subnet else reconfigure your ethernet NICs static IP. Then you will be able to connect to the internet as normal and have access to your own router.
                  I was trying to change Ethernet NIC static IP but unsuccessful. I could not able to change ethernet NIC static IP address. When try to change it shows me as still same. "ipconfig /all", tried "ipconfig /release", "ipconfig /renew" but still shows same Static IP address.

Tough it is!

Comment

How are you trying to change it? Is there an error when you try change it?
                    Have you a cable plugged into it? Is there something at the other end of the cable?

Media State ......................: Cable Disconnected
                    Description ......................: IBM 10/100 EtherJet PCI Adapter with Alert on LAN
                    Physical Address .................: 00-D6-B7-A0-4C-64
                    Shows that there is no cable. 192.168.1.100 may not be the IP address of this connection. Someone has named the connection "static ip 192.168.1.100".
                    If you right click on My Network Places select Properties you should see the connection named "static ip 192.168.1.100". You can right click on this and rename it, then ipconfig to see what I mean.
                    Is this the problem atm?

Comment

As I had Disable my wireless adapter and connected RJ - 45 to Ethernet adapter of computer and now still I can see wireless light and Ethernet light on the Router blinking but still not able to go on internet.

Question: I had seen a port for internet on the Router. It shows on back side of router 4 Ethernet port, 1 internet port. I had plugged into Ethernet port one side of RJ - 45 and other end to computer Ethernet port.

After doing this now I can see just my DNS.

"DNS Suffix Search List ................: abc.msft" not my owner's DNS....

Rest of the thing it shows same like it was showing before.

For DHCP didn't understand much here. I do have DHCP server on this computer. I had configured again DHCP server and it picked up "static ip: 192.168.1.34" but while I typed on command prompt "ipconfig /all" it's not showing my DHCP IP address still it shows 192.168.1.1.

Just I can see wireless light and Ethernet light blinking on router but no further success

Comment

Don't cry. It isn't that serious. You do have Internet access as it stands.

You have really lost me I'm afraid. This is a home PC or a server? You have Internet Connection Sharing on? How is the PC a DHCP server? You mean DHCP client?

Originally posted by dtshah54 View Post
                        For DHCP didn't understand much here. I do have DHCP server on this computer. I had configured again DHCP server and it picked up "static ip: 192.168.1.34" but while I typed on command prompt "ipconfig /all" it's not showing my DHCP IP address still it shows 192.168.1.1.
                        Where is it showing that it is picking up an IP address?

---------------------------//---------------------------
                        Router blinking but still not able to go on internet
                        You will not be able to without an account with an ISP. There is little point in getting one if you already have internet access for free. Also if you do get both connected to the internet you will not be able to use both at the same time.

Comment

Again make a drawing to clarify...
                          This post becomes hard to understand.

If you don't I'll stop reading this topic.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                            Again make a drawing to clarify...
                            This post becomes hard to understand.

If you don't I'll stop reading this topic.
                            It's simple trying adding a Router in existing network. I don't have modem information, just have Static IP information and other information as I had mentioned in thread.

Comment

Don't cry. It isn't that serious. You do have Internet access as it stands.

You have really lost me I'm afraid. This is a home PC or a server? You have Internet Connection Sharing on? How is the PC a DHCP server? You mean DHCP client?

Where is it showing that it is picking up an IP address?

---------------------------//---------------------------

You will not be able to without an account with an ISP. There is little point in getting one if you already have internet access for free. Also if you do get both connected to the internet you will not be able to use both at the same time.
                              This is my home test server. I had configured DHCP and even created a new scope but after this I am lost. What and How to do next.

The only thing is then only my computer on this router and even in that way I am learning something. Even I need practice configuring router because even I want to do and trying to study on CCNA.

Comment

Working...
                              X