X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to configure NIC to get internet and also log onto server

Hi,
    Can somebody help me please!
    I have one win200 server machine and 2nd winXP professional. I used the switch to make business networking and I am able to log onto domain using this setup perfectly. I have another router which I have connected with switch and want to bring internet on both machines. If I configure NIC on both machines according to router IP addresses then I can see internet on bothe machine but I loose networking logging. If I configure NIC on both machine according to network IP addresses then I can log into domain successfully but I loose internet on both machines. I can keep one IP configurations and can do one job at a time. How to configure NIC to use internet and also log onto domain at a time? Please help me.

Re: How to configure NIC to get internet and also log onto server

H MNadeem,
    Do you want to post IPCONFIG /all from both machines, plus your routers IP configuration so we can try to trouble shoot it. A bit difficult to do anything without the detailed info
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response and help. Yes, I want to keep both IP configurations for LAN and as well as internet. But i can keep one at a time. How to keep both IP configurations at a time?

Comment

Can you please post your IPCONFIG here so we can see what it is?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom,
          Please see below my IP configuration

To get logon to domain, I use the following IP configuration
          on win2K Server
          IP: 10.10.1.1
          subment: 255.0.0.0
          gateway: leave empty

on winxp--workstation
          IP: 10.0.0.3
          subnet: 255.0.0.0
          gateway: 10.10.1.1

Primary DNS: 10.10.1.1
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          To get connect to internet, I use the following IP configuration
          on win2K Server
          IP: 192.168.0.112
          subment: 255.255.255.0
          gateway: 192.168.0.1

on winxp--workstation
          IP: 192.168.0.113
          subnet: 255.255.255.0
          gateway: 192.168.0.1

Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1

Comment

You have two totally different lots of network settings.

What I suggest you do is change the routers IP to:
            10.0.0.254 with subnet 255.0.0.0

Then set the default gateway to 10.0.0.254 on both the server and the PC

Having said that, there appears no reason why the server and workstation should not see each other and the internet with the 192.168.0.x settings

I take it the server is the domain controller so it has DNS running on it? If so, what DNS forwarders do you have set up

Good luck!
            Tom
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Hi Tom,

Great, it is working now
              I did the same thing as suggested by you. I have changed the router IP address and its subnet mask and have configured this as default gateway for both machines. It is working fine and I am able to use internet and also logging to domain on both machines. You have solved my big problem. Thanks a lot for this kind help! I really appreciate it...

Comment

No problem -- glad it works!
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X