Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless LAN Networking Stopped working after MS Upgrade Installation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless LAN Networking Stopped working after MS Upgrade Installation?

The heading of this post is, perhaps , misleading in that it is a description of a sequence of events which may or may not be relevant.

I have a desktop with XP Pro SP2 and a similarly equipped laptop.

The d/t is connected to the Web through a XyCEL DSL Modem which then connects to the d/t's network card through a Linksys WRT54GS wireless-equipped Router.

The laptop is a Lenovo T60 Wireless equipped machine and which , until the present problem , was linked successfully in a wireless LAN with the d/t.

Everything worked OK in this setup , access to the web using the d/t which linked to the laptop wirelessly and I was thus able to use this arrangement in most of the rooms of my house.

Both machines were setup to use "Obtain IP addresses automatically".

Then , as a result of reading articles on WiFi Security , I decided to d/l and install the "Wireless Client Update KB917021" . This update promises to "enhance WPA2 encryption protocol".

I installed this only on the Desktop machine.

Shortly after this , I lost the wireless link and the networking facility on the LAN.

I then removed this MS Update from the desktop in an effort to reproduce the previous status.

This has not been successful in that I have since been unable to re-install Web access and networking wirelessly between both machines.

I can now access the Web and achieve networking between this LAN using the wired cable connection only.

I also have difficulty achieving sucess in obtaning wireless linkage and this is only obtained when I select "Obtain IP addresses manually".

There is also an additional symptom in that , when re-booting the laptop now , there is a considerable delay. This , I suspect but am not certain , is due to the difficulty in allocating IP addresses.

Finally , in describing these symptoms , I am not at all certain that there is a linkage with the installation of the MS Upgrade KB917021 and the subsequent problems but the problems began almost immediately after installing this upgrade on the desktop.

Incidentally , this upgrade is advertised as "..enhancing WPA2 protocol ..."
    As far as I am aware my Linksys Router only uses WPA .

I should also mention here that I employ Zone Alarm V.7.0.337.000 on both machines and am aware of the need to enter in the appropriate section of the ZA Control Center any significant IP's generated in attempts to achieve wireless networking and Web access.

Any comments and , ideally , solutions , would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Wireless LAN Networking Stopped working after MS Upgrade Installation?

What happens when you loose connectivity? Can you ping your gateway? If so, can you ping a host on the internet?

Sometimes, the different manufacturers wireless stuff doesn't always work *well* together.

Are there many networks nearby? Have you tried turning off encryption (for diagnostic's)?

Questions, questions!

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
      What happens when you loose connectivity? Can you ping your gateway? If so, can you ping a host on the internet?

Sometimes, the different manufacturers wireless stuff doesn't always work *well* together.

Are there many networks nearby? Have you tried turning off encryption (for diagnostic's)?

Questions, questions!
      I cannot ping the gateway since its normal IP 192.168.1.1 does not appear in "ipconfig" If I attempt to ping this IP I get the message "host unreachable"

There is only my network showing.

As to your comment about different manufacturers being sometimes incompatible, the answer to that here in my case is that , until I had this problem ,and for many months before , everything worked without a problem.

I'm afraid I don't know how to turn off encryption

If I attempt to ping the laptop here ( normally 192.168.1.103 ) it goes to 127.0.0.1

Comment

Can you paste the result of IPCONFIG /ALL for both machines here please?

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

O.K here they are.

The first one is the laptop when it is networked to the dtop by cable:-

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
          (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ltop
          Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
          Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
          IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
          WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
          Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connect
          on
          Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-9D-9E-16

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
          Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection
          Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-41-AD-71-05
          Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
          Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
          IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.104
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
          DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
          DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.125.2.241
          Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 23 June 2007 13:12:01
          Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 24 June 2007 13:12:01

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name>
          -------------------------------------------------------------

The second is the laptop when it has the cable disconnected as is attempting wireless access :-

Windows IP Configuration

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wir
          on
          Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-9D-9E-1
          IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
          DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

--------------------------------------------------

The third one is the desktop:-

Windows IP Configuration

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wir
          on
          Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-9D-9E-1
          IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
          DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

---------------------------------------------

Thank you for your interest.

Comment

There have been some developments in this situation since my last reply.

Basically , ( to summarise ) , the situation , before this morning , was that I cannot access the router or the Web wirelessly from the laptop but , until yesterday , could do both using a cable connection.

This morning , when I re-booted both machines and attempted - (by cable connection ) - to establish networking between the d/t and l/t , I still could "see" all shared files on both machines in Network Places but this time , on attempting to access either of the machines I got a "Password Demand" box which had the password entry blank and the Username entry greyed out with the words "DTOP/Guest" and "ltop/Guest" respectively. As I have never installed a password here , this makes access impossible.

This has never appeared before and why it does now I have no idea.

Since all this trouble began shortly after I d/l and installed MS KB917021 on the desktop , I have been wondering whether this Update , somehow , corrupted the WPA encription in the system and , in an effort to get over this , I restored the laptop to a date previous to these events.

The result of this has now restored the wireless connection in that I can now ping the router and each machine and access the Web wirelessly. I can also now access the shared files going from d/t to ltop but attempting to reach the d/t from the ltop still gets the password request with the Username greyed as "DTOP/Guest"

Has anyone any idea why this password request should appear like this "out of the blue" ? and , even more importantly how to get rid of it ?

Comment

DHCP is enabled, and the wireless network card has a gateway IP of 255.255.255.255 - Have you specified the TCP configuration, or is it set to automatic?

Have you turned the encryption off to test?

Comment

[QUOTE=thenoo;72787]The heading of this post is, perhaps , misleading in that it is a description of a sequence of events which may or may not be relevant.

I have restored both PC'S now to the situation which pertained before I began this thread and I have now got everything back to what it was before .

I would love to have stated here that I achieved this recovery by saying that I had found the problem which caused it and had subsequently solved it.
                Unfortunately that is not what happened !
                I got back to the "status quo ante " - ( if that is the appropriate Latin expression ) -by merely using System Restore on the laptop to a date preceding the problem and by re- installing a previously created Image File on the Desktop which also returned that machine to a similar earlier date.

Everything now works as before.

I have no idea what caused the problem but I am presuming it had something to do with the d/l Update File mentioned in my original post.
                However this is mere supposition as I cannot prove this.
                I still feel it had something to do with corruption of the encryption process.

Whatever about all that , I would like to take this opportunity to thank all on this Petri Forum who replied for the prompt help and pleasant manner in their comments.

Much appreciated I assure all.

Comment

Working...
                X