Using 2 routers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using 2 routers

I have Alcatel SPEEDTOUCH HOME which was hacked to PRO few years ago.
    Recently I installed a NETGEAR wireless router which acts as an Access Point and not doing routing.
    If I wanted the NETGEAR to do the routing, what do I need to change in the alcatel to disable the routing functionality ?

Re: Using 2 routers

Hacked? Oh dear not good...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

actually the instructions how to modify a HOME to PRO are on this web site, so what isn't good ?

Comment

Originally posted by kalda01 View Post
        actually the instructions how to modify a HOME to PRO are on this web site, so what isn't good ?
        I look at it like dropping a V8 motor into a car that was designed for a 4 or 6 cylinder. It works but there can be undesireable consequenses.

You can try putting the SpeedTouch into Bridge Mode or hack it back to a Home version again. Best option (personal opinion only), purchase a device the does Modem/Routing/Wireless in one unit. Lot less hassles.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The current situation is that I have the NETGEAR wirless router which can do the routing but does not have modem capability, so I am looking for the best setup, where the alcatel is doing the modem function and the NETGEAR doing the rest.

Is BRIDGING the best solution with the existing hardware ??

Comment

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

Have a read of some of the links from the above Google search and then you decide. Any questions, we are here.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

kalda01,

When using a router as a modem then adding another router to the end to say add WiFi functionality, you need to setup the router acting as a modem into BRIDGE mode which simply turns off all the routing functions and acts as a data-passthru. I think the WiFi router now needs to be setup to login to your ISP with your DSL credentials and it now does all your routing.
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
              |

Comment

Working...
              X