Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless problem

Hi everybody

Having a problem with my wireless network. Have setup the netgear router and have security on the network with a wep key. When connecting to the network using a hp laptop everything works fine. When connecting with a toshiba sat pro 6100 laptop I am able to see the network though I can't connect. Disabled the security and the same problem occurs. Downloaded the latest updates driver and checked the bios for the laptop from toshiba and still the same problem. Anyone with any ideas or solutions would very appreciated.

Cheers

Kev

Re: Wireless problem

Do you have MAC filtering enabled?
    If so you'll need to add the Toshiba's MAC address of the wireless adapter to the list on the Netgrear.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Mac filtering was not enabled. Tried enabling it anyway and entering the mac address of the toshiba's wireless network adapter still the same problem. I can see the network as available and allows me to enter a password but nothing happens.But when viewing the wireless in network connections the status of the wireless connection is unavailable. Task manager also shows the network with the speed but a status of unavailable.

KEV

Comment

It works fine when you plug in the ethernet cable. But after much hunting the problem was with the netgear. The standard speed had two values 11b 2.4ghz and 11n draft specification. The factory setting was at the draft specification.I changed them around and it works.Thanks for the suggestion.

Kev

Comment

That's where I was going next.
          Thanks for posting back and letting us know how you resolved it.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by kevswag View Post
            It works fine when you plug in the ethernet cable. But after much hunting the problem was with the netgear. The standard speed had two values 11b 2.4ghz and 11n draft specification. The factory setting was at the draft specification.I changed them around and it works.Thanks for the suggestion.

Kev
            Actually, the issue might be more broad than that. I have owned and operated several Netgear items in my home over the years. All of them I would rate pretty well, with the exception of the wireless router. It works fine most times, but once every 4-6 months, some wireless devices will be able to establish a wireless connection, but will no longer be able to communicate with the network. The initial problem right away being that the wireless device can't lease a DHCP address, and things go downhill pretty quickly from there. No settings have changed to cause this behavior. Router can be rebooted but to no avail. I've found the only solution to cure this is to factory reset the router and reprogram it using a backed up configuration, then everything is fine again for another 4-6 months. The reprogramming goes pretty quickly, especially when the config. is backed up, but it is an inconvenience nonetheless.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
              Actually, the issue might be more broad than that. I have owned and operated several Netgear items in my home over the years. All of them I would rate pretty well, with the exception of the wireless router. It works fine most times, but once every 4-6 months, some wireless devices will be able to establish a wireless connection, but will no longer be able to communicate with the network. The initial problem right away being that the wireless device can't lease a DHCP address, and things go downhill pretty quickly from there. No settings have changed to cause this behavior. Router can be rebooted but to no avail. I've found the only solution to cure this is to factory reset the router and reprogram it using a backed up configuration, then everything is fine again for another 4-6 months. The reprogramming goes pretty quickly, especially when the config. is backed up, but it is an inconvenience nonetheless.
              I've experienced that too on various "wireless routers" but only when I had another DHCP server handing out leases as opposed to the router doing it. I've never been a fan of wireless routers and always prefer dedicated APs as they seem to be a lot less finicky.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
              X