Best option for connecting 2 locations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best option for connecting 2 locations

Just wondering what you guys think is the best way to connect 2 locations on same domain with the equipment Ive got;

currently running 8 meg ADSL at both locations,
    Netgear Routers (i think they are 835's but cant honestly remember!)
    location 1 (L1) has main DC (01), running Win 2k3 SP1 stnd. Also has RRAS server.
    uses 192.168.174.x range
    location 2 (L2) has 2nd DC (02), running Win 2k3 R2 stnd.
    uses 192.168.176.x range

Currently, DC02 connects via VPN to the RRAS at L1. No other PC's at L2 can see network @ L1 and vise versa.

So how would you guys set it up so everyone can see everyone? is it a case of VPN tunnel using the routers? or is there a better option? I'm currently considering getting a dedicated SDSL line from both locations put in.
    James
    MCP

Re: Best option for connecting 2 locations

Hi,

You will need to configure a Windows 2003 box at each site to use Routing and Remote Access Services (RRAS) to establish a VPN tunnel using the more secure L2TP (Layer 2 Tunnel Protocol) and route TCP/IP traffic between the two sites.

Are you familiar with using RRAS to establish VPN connections?
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

L1 has a RRAS server setup (running 2k3 enterprise SP1), and L2 also has RRAS enabled on the server there (2k3 standard R2).

I've never configured RRAS before.
      James
      MCP

Comment

just to update, Ive managed to get that setup with the help of articles such as http://www.microsoft.com/technet/.........._ch14.mspx.

However, altho the servers see each other, the other PC's on the network at each end, cannot see each other. As in PC1 at L1 cannot see PC2 at L2. What I ideally want is for all PC's at each end to be able talk.
        James
        MCP

Comment

Do the PCs have a route to the respective networks?

Could you post a diagram of your setup, including all routers and the default gateways for clients.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

attached is a diagram Ive had around for a while, when i was showing a mate what I had planned about a year ago! apologies for its simplicity. Not sure if its what you ment either really.

Its a relatively straightforward setup i think. Head Office is the L1 i mentioned in my first post, with the sub office as L2. DC01 @ L1 does all the main work, dealing with DHCP, DNS, AD etc. and DC02 @ L2 obviously does the same for those at L2.
            To keep the AD synchronised I would, up until now, periodically connect DC02 via a VPN connection to the RRAS at L1.
            The 2 routers are basic Netgear ADSL Modem Firewall Routers. These act as the default gateways to the local PC's, ip's being assigned via DHCP.

As I've said, I managed to get a VPN Tunnel setup via the 2 RRAS', following the guidence on the link in my previous post. As far as I can tell this only connects the 2 servers and there is no further routing setup for the remaining PC's/Servers to see each other over the network. My RRAS knowledge is very limited. This is really my first dabble into it.

I hope this info helps you understand my situation a bit more. All I want to be able to do is make all computers be able to see all others, on each side of the network.
            Attached Files
            James
            MCP

Comment

I think it's what I suspected...

You were able to establish a VPN tunnel between the two servers, right?
              Well then, for the other computers on the subnet to use that tunnel, they need to know that the respective servers are the path to the other network.

The easiest way to fix this, IMO, is to add a static route to each of the Netgear routers.

Head Office
              Route: 192.168.176.0
              Mask: 255.255.255.0 (use the same mask as the actual network uses)
              Gateway: {ip address of DC01}

Sub Office
              Route: 192.168.174.0
              Mask: 255.255.255.0 (use the same mask as the actual network uses)
              Gateway: {ip address of DC02}

Now this will only work if it's an actual Site to Site VPN. If you configured a Remote Access VPN, then it won't work.
              http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...h14.mspx#ESMAC
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

ah you see, now things are starting to make more sence....

I'll give it a go and let you know.
                James
                MCP

Comment

no joy im afraid.

Just to confirm, the static route @ Head office need to have the DC01 ip address and not RRAS? Not that thats made any difference, I've tried both
                  James
                  MCP

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                    Now this will only work if it's an actual Site to Site VPN. If you configured a Remote Access VPN then it won't work.
                    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...h14.mspx#ESMAC
                    What kind of VPN connection is it? Did you click on the link I posted? (same as yours but it goes straight to the Site to Site configuration)

EDIT - I just looked at your diagram again and it looks like RRAS isn't installed on DC01. That means you've setup a Remote Access VPN. Look at how to setup the Site to Site VPN. Depending on what model your Netgear routers are, you might be able to use them to create the tunnel. Otherwise you'll need to install RRAS on DC01 and setup the Site to Site VPN (aka Demand Dial Routing)
                    Last edited by JeremyW; 18th April 2007, 19:58.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The RRAS server at Head Office is a seperate server to DC01, but I have set it up as a Site to Site VPN using Demand Dial Routing. It also works as a secondary Domain Controller for redundancy.

There is an option for using the Routers as a VPN tunnel, but I wasnt sure how that would affect internet access? I would also personally prefer to use the RRAS to do it, as I'm learning something new here as well, but if it comes down to it I'll use the Routers.
                      James
                      MCP

Comment

Originally posted by swfblade View Post
                        The RRAS server at Head Office is a seperate server to DC01, but I have set it up as a Site to Site VPN using Demand Dial Routing. It also works as a secondary Domain Controller for redundancy.
                        Sounds like a fine setup. Once you get the site to site tunnel working you'll still need to configure the static routes on the routers. Remember to point the gateways to the respective RRAS server.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

cheers for the help anyway.

Anyone else have any ideas as to why its not working?
                          James
                          MCP

Comment

cheers for the help anyway.

Anyone else have any ideas as to why its not working?
                            Were you able to establish a site to site VPN connection?
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes I have...
                              .... but I have set it up as a Site to Site VPN using Demand Dial Routing ....
                              ...but as I say each side cant see the other, even after setting the routers up.
                              James
                              MCP

Comment

Working...
                              X