Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Vpn Passthru/transparent Routing

Hello folks,

I have a Server directly connected to the web via Global static IP. What I would like to do is locate a decent router that allows transparency (ie no need for ip on router) yet will filter out select inbound IPs and IP blocks. Is this possible with low end routers? Is it even possible at all? Also, what I am seeking is a router that has downloadable config files that I can tweak via text doc and re upload.

I know I know...dream on.

regards,
    yellow_doh

Re: Help With Vpn Passthru/transparent Routing

A router that doesn't "route" but filters incoming traffic from certain IP's? Sounds more like a firewall to me...

You can either get "Appliance" firewalls (e.g. Cisco PIX) or software firewalls.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I know...IT here doesn't want to fess up any DOH-heck it took nearly two years of me constantly bugging them about the brute force attempts on the server box to finally get them to see. Their motto: "IF IT AIN'T BROKE-DONT FIX IT!" So if I want to have some filtering options available, I need to get something these folks are willing to part cash with to get.

regards,
      yellow_doh

Comment

So get a cheap PC with two NICs, get Linux, and get a cheap firewall software package for Linux. Shouldn't cost you more than US$500. Honestly if they're THAT stupid they deserve everything they get. By the way - if I were you I would be looking for any non-stupid employers you can find in your area...

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Smoothwall is a nice cheap Firewall, http://www.smoothwall.org/ - FREE!! It has been adopted (and slightly modified) by the Victorian Education Dept and it used in EVERY school in Victoria.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X