X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to network HDD through internet

Hello,

i have a question to ask...

I have an external HDD which can be connected directly via a network connection and o it have its own IP address.

I would like to know if it is possible to transfer file on this drive via internet (for backup). If yes can someone guide me a little to configure it as I suppose it is necessary to configure the router for NAT but I am not sure that will be enough...

Thank you,

Christophe

Re: Access to network HDD through internet

How would you access it via a LOCAL network? If it's via NETBIOS then forget it; NETBIOS packets don't work over the internet. (i.e. if you have to map network drive to it, or type \\<ip address>\<share name>)

If not, please specify how you would access it and we'll see whether that would apply to the internet.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by cdechamps View Post
      Hello,

i have a question to ask...

I have an external HDD which can be connected directly via a network connection and o it have its own IP address.
      Its called a NAS, just in case you want to Google it.

I would like to know if it is possible to transfer file on this drive via internet (for backup). If yes can someone guide me a little to configure it as I suppose it is necessary to configure the router for NAT but I am not sure that will be enough...
      NAT would only work if it has a built in server, there are some out there that have a built in FTP server. Or you can VPN in, if you have that capability in general, and then just access it by its IP.
      What make/model do you have?
      Last edited by Lior_S; 9th March 2007, 14:17. Reason: grammar.... need sleep
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Hello,

First thank you for your replies !

I will try to get the exact model of HDD I have (cannot remember precisely) as soon as possible.

About the way to do it I don't really have preferences if there are several ways I will probably take the more secure or easiest depending on the possible solutions.

For your information none of tle local networks (source and target) are in a domain. it would be from a workstation in the source local network to the HDD in the target local network through internet (I hope this clear enough...).
        I guess that in worst cast I can connect the HDD directly on a pc in the target network to configure a FTP server but it would be the last solution to take as I think it is a bit "sad" to have to keep a pc turned on just to make a copy once a day (energy consumption.. ).

Anyway I do my best to inform you about the NAS HDD I have to check the features on it.

Thank you

Comment

While you are at it post your router model as well, some have VPN.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
          X