Pppoe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pppoe

In the UK, most ISP's still use PPPOA. One of the biggest providers are now using PPPOE.

I recently looked at a SOHO unit, and was familiar with the most of the configuration including LAN IP and mask (standard class C), but unsure about the WAN side;

IP Address 81.x.x.x
    Mask 255.255.252.0
    Gateway 81.x.x.x (first 16 bits the same as the IP)
    Preferred DNS x.x.x.x (i know about this bit)
    Alternative DNS x.x.x.x (i know about this bit)

I wasn't there for long, but puzzled about the following;

* The IP. Is this the address a web server would reply to the customer on?
    * The mask. This is a residential unit - why the subnetted mask. Is there a block of IP's being shared on the line?
    * Gateway. Is this the <gate> at the ISP end?

Thanks
    Simon

Re: Pppoe

Originally posted by simonsays View Post

* The IP. Is this the address a web server would reply to the customer on?
    Correct, AKA your public IP
    * The mask. This is a residential unit - why the subnetted mask. Is there a block of IP's being shared on the line?
    Not exactly, but yes there are blocks of IP's assigned to each ISP
    * Gateway. Is this the <gate> at the ISP end?
    This is the gateway from where you leave the ISP and venture to the rest of the net.

All this however is not specific to PPPoE.......
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Lior_S,

Thank you for your reply.

So, would I be correct in saying the fact that the Public IP and Gateway IP are different is transparent and for the network providers technology?

In PPPOA setup's, (unless hidden within the service provider) the gateway IP is the IP of your DSL device and therefore the same as your IP.

Also, the mask - the first ten bits have been borrowed. In a SOHO, I have always seen the mask as 255.255.255.255.

So many questions - sorry! Can you recommend any TCP and general DSL/Cable technology books?

I have attached a crappy diagram of how I see it !

Simon
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
        Lior_S,

Thank you for your reply.

So, would I be correct in saying the fact that the Public IP and Gateway IP are different is transparent and for the network providers technology?

In PPPOA setup's, (unless hidden within the service provider) the gateway IP is the IP of your DSL device and therefore the same as your IP.
        The gateway I was refering too is actually the ISP internal gateway although you are right in most setups the router/modem would be the gateway.

Also, the mask - the first ten bits have been borrowed. In a SOHO, I have always seen the mask as 255.255.255.255.

So many questions - sorry! Can you recommend any TCP and general DSL/Cable technology books?
        I think the best information can be had online. I'll find something for you.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
        X