New WIFI forum? Voice your opinion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WIFI forum? Voice your opinion

I will let this poll run for 2 weeks. If I get enough positive answers I will set it up.
    Yes please
    50.00%
    No, no need
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: New WIFI forum? Voice your opinion

Great idea - fingers crossed!

Comment

IMHO, no.
      We already have this general networking forum (title might need to change) and the focus of this site is on Microsoft Products and Technologies. How many questions can be asked about Wireless Zero Configuration?

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

While there is a lot more to WiFi than "Wireless Zero Configuration", have you seen an upswing in WiFi config / security / setup / design issues that would warrant a separate forum?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          IMHO, no.
          We already have this general networking forum (title might need to change) and the focus of this site is on Microsoft Products and Technologies. How many questions can be asked about Wireless Zero Configuration?

Tom
          I agree with Tom - a simple title change will be sufficient!

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Not yet. Maybe in another 12 months but at the moment there aren't suffucuent questions. Also, with the diversity of WiFi gear out there it would be difficult to provide standard answers. (Maaybe I will rephrase that when I think of a better way to put it).
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If I need to I will change the title. That's no big deal. However I thought we could build up the WiFi category on its own.

I'm still waiting, we have 2 weeks for the poll to run. Either way is fine with me.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Do we have the in-depth WiFi expertise that you would need to make it useful?

For instance my WiFi Router is no responding to ARP packets and I have to manually create static ARP tables on my PCs to get any TCP/IP connectivity between them... this generates questions such as "does the router forward broadcasts such as ARP queries to the Wireless network, or does it reply to the query itself from the internal ARP cache?"

Could questions of this nature be answered as we stand, or do we need people with deeper experience and knowledge to support WiFi?

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                  While there is a lot more to WiFi than "Wireless Zero Configuration"
                  I agree -- I was trying to point out that this forum is Windows focussed and therefore approaching WiFi from the Microsoft POV.

Tom
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                    Exactamundo.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                      If I need to I will change the title. That's no big deal.
                      IMHO a name change should suffice.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

i haven't seen any need for it.
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                          FWIW, David has his CWNA.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

9 votes, 238 views. Not a spectacularly popular thread.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: New WIFI forum

Yes. Sooner everywhere you'll see Wi Max and then full fledged higher grade wireless. As already smart phones entered in to the world of "EDGE" technology, wireless devices such as laptops already support 802.11 b/g/n standards, i m sure sooner wired communication will end at corporate world but at limited scope. Some advantages, disadvantages as well.

When talking about "Wireless" word, most people feel it's all about small Linksys wireless router. Nah nah nah ..Its not like that. There is much more than that. Just like a dish which received and sends signals from Satellites ? It's amazing to see those devies.

2 months ago i went to a local ISP provider where they have a big dish which recives and trasmitts signals to satellite for internet communication? Probabbly yes.
                              Big cables from that the box which is atached to that dish goes down side at server room where they have big Cisco routers just like blade servers, all run in giga byte and fibre channel ofcourse.

I am still confused internet communicate at gateways worked through satellite or through those big cables which are layed under oceans??????? Or both ? Do any providers use DISH to catch internet via Satellites? I did search and i found big cables under oceans are conencted to Asia,Europe & America. Remember last month earth quack in Taiwan? Which disturbed those fibre optic cables in south china sea and internet conenction was broken over here and in China,HongKong,Southkorea etc etc. It's fun to know about this all.
                              All in 1
                              Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Working...
                              X