Your expriences with different brands of routers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your expriences with different brands of routers

In MY experience, i set up 2 of my friends wireless routers, i set up the NetGear one first, and it just seems to cut out all the time, and i set up a Linksys one which has had no problems at all, so, i assumed that i had set up the NetGear one wrong, i re did it, but it still cuts out every so often

the question isn't what wrong with it, but what experiences have you had with different routers?
    changed

Re: Your expriences with different brands of routers

ohh crud, i thought i was posting in the networking section, looks like more negative rep for me

can a mod please move this for me, and i apologise for the inconvenience
    changed

Comment

Moved
      No negative rep from me... This time

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would stay away from linksys based on my experience of two of the wireless 4 port adsl routers. Dropping wireless packets on both my main pc and my laptop.

Even though it is Ciscos home brand they didnt perform like a cisco!
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I use linksys all the time.

Since cisco own them now, they have released a lot of their firmware as open source and now there are quite a few different 'flavours' of firmware out for various different models.

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
            I use linksys all the time.

Since cisco own them now, they have released a lot of their firmware as open source and now there are quite a few different 'flavours' of firmware out for various different models.

Michael
            Ditto this post. There are also firmware hacks for some Linksys models that allsow you to increase the power output from the default 30% to 100% and so increase the range.

I have also used TP-Link. They are very cheap and pretty good value for the price. They also use a "Netgear" GUI so the devices are easy to configure.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
              I would stay away from linksys based on my experience of two of the wireless 4 port adsl routers. Dropping wireless packets on both my main pc and my laptop.
              I would say stay away from the wireless routers in general. I've had trouble with various brands. On the other hand, all the WAPs I've used have worked fairly well, including Linksys.

Get a router, get a switch, and get an access point.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                Get a router, get a switch, and get an access point.
                That is a lot of power adapters. And another one for the modem if the router is missing that. Gets to be a big pain, unfortunately. (Not disagreeing with your post just saying for a home user an all in one device can be a lot more convenient)
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Realize this is getting close to religion so let's not take it personally.

I'm an SMC guy from way back. Never had a problem and anytime we were doing a remote project w/ a Domain Controller, SMC worked where Linksys and Dlink didn't. I'm sorry, but I don't think Cisco buying Linksys has helped. I'm not a big Cisco fan -- too old seen the dark side.
                  Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

SMC, interesting. I would never have considered them. Will have to look at their stuff.

I am assuming (a dangerous thing) that Luke Murgatroyd is setting up a home wireless network. This can result in different equipment used compared to a business installation.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I started w/ SMC in the way back as my first home router because they offered a model that would fail over to an external dial up if your broadband went down and they included a print server too.

In this business scenario from the past, we had a CheckPoint box at the remote location connected to the mother ship running a VPN across an ADSL line w/ a fixed IP. The other consumer routers at the time all had probs with this. I brought in my old SMC from home and it worked great. That was years ago but it made me a loyal customer.

Stayed with SMC when I went WiFi as I liked the print server feature. Also have a home Gigabit switch from them as they were the first to support Jumbo Frames at a consumer price.

On the Linksys side, I shouldn't be so hard on them. They have some nice WiFi setup wizards and a that make it easy to add a PC w/out knowing how to set up WEP, etc.

Today, I'd probably go w/ JeremyW's access point suggestion though that does add cost. Replacing the cheap rubber duck antennae on an all-in-one unit may be the better bet on a limited budget.
                      Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        I am assuming (a dangerous thing) that Luke Murgatroyd is setting up a home wireless network. This can result in different equipment used compared to a business installation.
                        in the future i am considering a wireless network, but i have never installed or used a wireless router in a business sense, and thank you everybody for your good feedback
                        changed

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post

Even though it is Ciscos home brand they didnt perform like a cisco!
                          Many speculators think that Cisco bought LinkSys because they wanted to enter the SOHO market, but contrary to what you might read, this is not entirely correct. As a matter of fact, many companies to not succeed well catering to SOHO and enterprise customers.

At the time of the purchase, LinkSys had about 40% of the SOHO market and everyone was using the Atheros chipset. Cisco also had a percentage of the wireless market too using Atheros chips, but the Atheros chipset set did not meet all the requirements Cisco had in mind and getting Atheros to make changes was not easy.

By buying LinkSys ($500 million in stock), this gave Cisco more clout with Atheros when design changes were required.

Concerning quality - there is none, it's all made in China these days, no matter to who's exacting standards

I try to stay away from LinkSys because I find it has a high failure rate. I would never install SOHO products on a customer's network. For home I bought myself a Netscreen off of eBay cheap.

Access points (D-link AP-2100) seem to work better than wireless routers. I don't know why but they do.

For people with a limited budget, I always recommend a Netopia R910. It's a great router, firewall, and PPTP VPN endpoint that works with the Windows PPTP client that comes with Win2k and XP. It's less than $200 U.S. and comes with real tech support to set it up.
                          Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                            Concerning quality - there is none, it's all made in China these days, no matter to who's exacting standards
                            Sorry but I'm going a little
                            I was talking to an engineer, who works for Windermere which was just bought by Northrop Grumman. He designs circuit boards for specific applications.

Anyways, he was talking about how everything that is mass-produced is done in China. The industry is expanding so rapidly that they have hundreds of assembly lines with state of the art equipment sitting on and running on dirt floors!
                            Also, a lot of the boards sent over there to be manufactured contain trade secrets for the various companies but these companies have no control over what happens once the stuff is in China. And now we're seeing very similar technology emerge from Chinese companies. Coincidence?
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                            X