File and print sharing getting lost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File and print sharing getting lost

Hello everybody. I am having crazy things going on with my router setup of two computers. I have a Motorola surfboard cable modem piped into a Netgear WGT624 wireless router. I have my desktop hooked to the router through network cable to internal NIC and I have a laptop that is wirelessly connected. Desktop has Win xp sp2 and the laptop has win media edition 2005. I recently upgraded from a linksys wgt200 cable modem wireless router. Now the problem.

From the desktop, normally I can't see any computers under my workgroup, even though each computer has a different name and the same workgroup name. Only when resetting everything and rebooting numerous times can I see both my desktop and laptop from the desktop computer. After either minutes or hours, it says the workgroup is not accessible, contact the administrator....and I can no longer access my laptop from desktop. Able to ping laptop through cmd. No firewall, except the router.

From the laptop I can always see the laptop computer under workgroup, and on occasion the desktop. On the main "my network places" screen, I can see the drives for the desktop and can access and do what I want with the files. On occassion, those get lost and I have to retype them in on add new network place. Then I can access them again. I can ping the desktop through cmd

Simple file sharing is off for both machines. All drives are being shared. I have yet reinstalled windows on the desktop, but I may have to. Any help would be appreciated, but keep in mind I am not a network guru/administrator, but I know my way around windows. Thanks for all those who help.

Luke

Re: File and print sharing getting lost

Just a stream of thoughts on the issue:

No firewall including the one in XP SP2? If you have the XP SP2 one running, make sure you have File and Printer Sharing checked as an exception.

So when you get into this predicament and you can PING laptop in CMD, can you "NET VIEW \\laptop" or "NET USE X: \\laptop\c$"?

Is the DCHP lease too short? When all is well, PING laptop and note IP. When it flakes out, repeat and see if the IP address for laptop changed.

Smells like a possible NETBIOS over TCP issue. Is the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service running?

Have you considered installing NETBEUI as a protocol on these machines. No flames please. You can find it in a WXP installation disk:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301041

MS TCP/IP has been buggy in certain areas since the WFW days. I still use NETBEUI from time to time. You can always try it and remove the protocol latter.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Well, I finally installed NetBeui on both the laptop and desktop and both have been communicating fine. Why was this standard dropped by windows? I also noticed that if I try to stream mp3 files from the laptop (wireless) to the desktop, that the files are choppy, is NetBeui a slower network connection? If anybody would like to comment on it, I'd appreciate it. But so far, all is well. Thanks for the help!

Luke

Comment

What type of wireless connection is it? a/b/g/draft n?
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

NetBEUI is a non-routable protocol designed for small networks. In the way back, it was much more efficient in practice (bytes / sec). Now it's pretty much a wash. With RFC 1001 and 1002 for TCP, I'm guessing Bill decided no need to support this anymore.

Glad it worked out.

You should be able to get your machines talking reliably w/out NetBEUI so something isn't configured right somewhere in your network -- just an FYI.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

My wireless connection is G. I am getting a ton of lost packets. I did a ping ipaddress -t and ran for about 5 minutes and got 13% loss. I really don't know if this is average or not. I think my problem now is getting the wireless side of my network better able to communicate to the router. I will look into it. Thanks for everything!

Comment

That is too high a drop out rate. Do you have a lot of close neighbors w/ WiFi? Or are you running the microwave often? Is your desktop running w/out its cover right next to the router?

You can try getting the WiFi router away from other interfering things.

You can also try adding an external antenna or two to the router replacing those cheap rubber duck ones they all seem to have.

There are directional and omnidirectional ones w/ different dBi . I run one of each on my router, each w/ a 6 dBi gain. The directional is aimed at a desktop in another room where a wired drop was impractical. Added a directional to the desktop pointing back at the router and interference went way down. Microwave popcorn during a large file transfer is no longer an issue.

Your laptop probably doesn't have external antenna capability but adding better antennae to your router may still help.
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

I have seen the optional antennaes in magazines and will maybe look into one if they are not too expensive. One such thing caught my eye where you can extend your router signal through your cable lines and they include a cable jack wallplate w/ a antennae on it. But that is something I can do later. Should I be worried about running NetBeui or is it okay? I have tried about a thousand different variations of trying to get my network up and running through TCP/IP, but I don't know enough about network and such things to try everything, hence the post. SO if there are still things that I can try, I can uninstall Netbeui and try some other things. Thanks!

Luke

Comment

I use NetBEUI all the time and haven't had any issues. It is obviously more forgiving than TCP. Once you get the connection more reliable (get that 13% loss down near 0%), TCP should work and that choppy MP3 issue should go away.

So don't ignore that flaky connection. Nothing good can come from it.
                  Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                  X