SpeedTouch Home->PRO + Switching Hub = random Switch cras

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpeedTouch Home->PRO + Switching Hub = random Switch cras

I've got a SpeedTouch (ST) Home converted to Pro. I have a Switching Hub between the ST and the PCs on the LAN. I can easily crash the Switch when watching streaming video in UDP protocol (if i configure Windows Media Player to use only TCP protocol there is no problem). It may take a few seconds or a few minutes until the Switch stops responding on the ST-Switch connection. I can crash the Switch from any PC on the LAN. If the ST is directly connected to a PC there is no problem. I've tried so far the following to solve the problem with no results:

1- changed the Switch (Linksys SD205) for a new one and even for a different brand (DLink DES-1005D)

2- changed cable between Switch and ST (crossover, strait-through, strait-through & reverse-polarity, crossover & reverse-polarity)

3- removed some non-sense route table entries

4- upgraded ST firmware from GV8BAA3.253 to GV8BAA3.281 (http://www.speedtouch.nl) and GV8BAB3.281 (http://www.speedtouch.co.uk)

5- configured NICs in the LAN PCs to Auto, 10Mbit Half-Duplex, 100Mbit Half-Duplex, 10Mbit Full-Duplex and 100Mbit Full-Duplex

In the ST Manual it says that the Ethernet port works at 10Mbit Half-Duplex and the Switch seems to capture this but I am not sure if Auto-Negotiation is really working. This is my first explanation for what's happening here. My other explanation is that the ST may be sending some wrong or odd Ethernet Frames to the Switch - for example a Ethernet Frame with same source and destination MAC address of the ST router which could be responsible for the crashing/lock-up of the Switch. I tried to use EXPERT mode to change the ST eth0 settings but can't find any option for that purpose.

It seems like a very difficult problem to solve. Any ideas ?

orionn AT mail DOT telepac DOT pt

5- configured NICs in the LAN PCs to Auto, 10Mbit Half-Duplex, 100Mbit Half-Duplex, 10Mbit Full-Duplex and 100Mbit Full-Duplex
    Is there any possibility to change the NIC of the switch to the speeds above?
    Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by STEN
      Is there any possibility to change the NIC of the switch to the speeds above?
      No. Both Switches are unmanaged.

Comment

I finally figured it out - this is what i did to get to the final conclusion
        of why the Switch crashes/hangs: the Router manual explicitly says that it
        only works at 10Mbps Half-Duplex - ok - i plugged a computer directly to the router
        with the NIC configured for 10Mbps Full-Duplex ... i start two streaming videos
        in TCP protocol and after a few seconds the NIC just died/crashed
        ('Cable Unplugged' within Win2000) while the Router kept working like if it
        was nothing. So the NIC behaved the same way as the Switch does - I finally
        see that the Switch is not working at 10Mbps Half-Duplex with the Router but
        instead at Full-Duplex. Now you tell me why is that the Switch auto-negotiation
        cannot pick Half-Duplex.

Comment

Working...
        X