Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

user the wireless router in reverse mode :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user the wireless router in reverse mode :)

i had a friend set me up this wireless network in this nice way
    i used to have an adsl wireless router 3com 11

but now i have a leased line connection and i gave up adls

so this guy he was on vacation visiting and he set me up a machine to be routing to the whole network and had it connectied to a wireless access point 3com as well

and i have a room with two old computer machines with no wireless connection
    so he setup my router to act as a recption for the wireless access point down stairs and as it has 4 network ports i can connect my two old machines to the network and internet so it became

internet ==> routing server ==> wireless access point ==> wireless ADSL router (only used to connect not route internet anymore )==> 2 network computers

well some guy i know decided to fix this for me (haha) he reset that router
    and i don't know how to reconfigure that any more

can u help me

Re: user the wireless router in reverse mode

Originally posted by bo2bo2 View Post
    well some guy i know decided to fix this for me (haha) he reset that router
    and i don't know how to reconfigure that any more
    Which router?
    Can you post all the IP configurations of all your computers and the 3com?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

doesn't matter really
      but

all my machines are now in range 192.168.0.*

and they currently all have internet connection
      but this is the problem

internet ==>windows 2003 routing ==> wire ==> 3com access point ==> wire ==> 4 port 3com rouer used as switch ==> wire machine

i just want to remove that wire
      there should be some wireless configuration in that wireless router to make it get internet connectivity from the access point as it was working like that before

Comment

Your posts are filled with ambiguity...but here's my guess at what you're trying to do:
        Plug the server into the 3com that's acting as a switch. You have 4 devices and they all should be plugged into the 3com's LAN ports.

If my guess is wrong post back and we'll try and work through this.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

internet ==>windows 2003 routing ==> wire ==> 3com access point ==> wire ==> 4 port 3com rouer used as switch ==> wire machine

actually all i want to do is to configure my two wireless devices to connect wirelessly instead of using a network cable
          (the red wire word)

may be this will help

i have a DSL router not ADSL a DSL router and i connect it to a windows 2003 machine which routes to my private network 192.168.0.*

i have another interface in this windows machine which is going to the Access point (3com) and i have 3 machines that connect directly using wireless network adaptors

i have 2 machines which are older and in a different floor they are connected to a Wireless adsl router 4 ports 3com BUT it is not acting as router, it's connected with a wire to a third network adaptor in my windows 2003 machine and is acting as a switch

the problem is i want to eliminate that cable and make the adsl router connect to the access point downstairs wirelessly

i know it's possible cuz i used to have this configurations earlier a friend of mine had set that up for me and i was running like this for 3 months but someone played around with this device configs and i don't know how to do that again

Comment

You are making my head spin. Make a drawing of your topology in PowerPoint or ??? and post it so we can better understand what is going on here and what is in "reverse mode".
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Yes, a drawing would be nice.
              But I think what you're wanting to do is configure a wireless bridge between the 3com devices. Model numbers of the 3com devices would be helpful as well.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Warning: primitive diagram ahead

this is what he has:

this is what i believe he is trying to do:

internet ==>windows 2003 routing ==> 3com access point -))) (((- 4 port 3com rouer used as switch ==> wire machine

==> = Wire
                ))) ((( = Wireless

am i correct?
                changed

Comment

Yes, that's what I believe he wants but we'll have to see if he replies.

In the meantime, if you're interested, you can read about Wireless Bridges
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                  X