Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal subnet obtained from ISP?

Hi

I'm using Alctel speedTouch Pro to dial to my ISP (ppp) configred with DHCP spoof.
    My router then gets the real IP (a static IP).
    I want to set the router to use that static IP instead of leasing it every time from the modem, but here's the data I get:
    IP: 212.150.97.x
    SUBNET MASK: 212.150.97.0
    of course I cann't use this subnet mask when I try to enter static IP parameters.

Any idea how can it be?
    Is this the ISP sending illegal subnet mask or could it be something with alctel settings?

Re: Illegal subnet obtained from ISP?

Hi Jonathan,

no idea! But cant you just call your ISP and ask them what static address they've allocated to you? They should be able to provide this easily.

regards,

theterranaut

Comment

well, I did,
      the ISP (barak 013) support guys have no idea about those numbers, and claim I do not need to configure any subnet or gateway for adsl connection and do not know how to explain the subnet and gateway i obtain from them aotumatically...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan80 View Post
        Is this the ISP sending illegal subnet mask or could it be something with alctel settings?
        It's not that this subnet mask is illegal, it's invalid.

Are you sure that it said that 212.150.97.0 was the netmask? It looks like a network address to me.
        Did it display as something like 212.150.97.0 /31(or /30 or /29, etc)?

EDIT - Give the ISP another call. You'll probably need to get someone more knowledgeable on the phone. They always have different levels that you'll need to work through. And there is now way that they can run as an ISP without someone knowing what's going on.
        Last edited by JeremyW; 1st November 2006, 17:49.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Do a screenshot of the screen with the IP & Subnet mask. My guess is the mask is 16bit, but where you you get the default gateway from?

Have you read the manual for the SpeedTouch Pro? Is it a Pro or is it a Home version you have upgraded?

Remember the router (or in this case, modem/router) has two IP interfaces. AN external one, (supplied by your ISP) and an internal one that usually defaults to 10.0.0.138.

With the Pro, you can enter your own private IP like 192.168.1.254 to reflect your internal network so you do not have to use the 10.0.0.0 IP range. The ISPs number is Natted to your 192.168.x.x (or 10.0.0.138 if you don't enter your own IP) and then you can use whatever mask you want. Your default gateway then becomes 192.168.1.254 and NOT the IP supplied by your ISP.

Lastly, unless you have specified that you require a static IP (and pay the extrat for it) you may find you have a dynamic IP supplied by your ISP. It may not change often, but take note of the IP, power cycle your router and then see what IP you have then.

Don't forget the screenshot and save it in JPG format before posting. Thanks.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
            It's not that this subnet mask is illegal, it's invalid.

Are you sure that it said that 212.150.97.0 was the netmask? It looks like a network address to me.
            Did it display as something like 212.150.97.0 /31(or /30 or /29, etc)?
            I'm sure this should be the answer....
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I think Marcel and JeremyW have (as usual) hit the nail squarely on the head... you might just have coincidentally have ended up with an "x.x.x.0" network, and as he says, you'll probably get a /30 or similar, giving you (possibly) 1 or more static IP addresses to play with. From this, you can calculate your mask, which will probably be 255.255.255.252 or similar.

Shocking behaviour from that ISP- do they want your money? I agree that you may have to moan a bit to get someone who really understands whats what- but shouldn't front-line staff from an ISP be able to comprehend an IP address?

I don't know, whats the world coming to?

theterranaut
              Last edited by theterranaut; 2nd November 2006, 10:47. Reason: Just noticed JeremyW's OP

Comment

Having used the Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro, I know how confusing the web interface can be. It may be a case of that, or the device is faulty. The early Pro models they used in Australia had a reasonable failure rate. The later models were better. I have 2 left working out of 4!!
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X