How can I open Ports on Alcatel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I open Ports on Alcatel?

I have a small home network which include 2 computers connected to the Alcatel Pro modem using a switch. I'm trying to open ports in order to be able to get incoming files on the ICQ and also to get normal id (not LowID) on EMule.

I had mapped some ports using the NAT commands for a computer on my network. I assigned this port for the ICQ program and also for the EMule. It didn't help.

{:nat create protocol=tcp inside_addr=10.0.0.6:4662 outside_addr=0.0.0.0:4662}

Only after I assigned this computer as a defserver, I could get incoming files to my ICQ. Still my emule did not work propably (It said that it cant find the port which I assigned to it)

Any one has any Idea how I can solve that problem?
    Will Upgrading the Alcatel to 511 help?
    Thank You!

P.S - My Alcatel is acting as a DHCP server.

Instead of "0.0.0.0", try your external IP address.
    Don't you need to set up a UDP port as well?

Comment

Hi Oded.
      What you need to do in order for EMule to work, is to work with static IP's. Read the manual in http://www.emuleproject.net/home/per...p;topic_id=122 for the ports you need open, port 4662 is not enough to open.
      Also, I don't think you can work with the same port for 2 programs, but I'm not sure on this.

After you set static IP's for the computers on your computers network (after disabling the DHCP), set the default gateway to the IP of your modem, and the DNS server to the IP of your modem as well (default for Alcatel is 10.0.0.13. If you can't resolve hostnames, than go back to DHCP with both the modem and NIC, and user ipconfig /all to get the IP's of you primary and secondary DNS servers and set them in the NIC configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by lskyw
        Hi Oded.
        What you need to do in order for EMule to work, is to work with static IP's. Read the manual in http://www.emuleproject.net/home/per...p;topic_id=122 for the ports you need open, port 4662 is not enough to open.
        Also, I don't think you can work with the same port for 2 programs, but I'm not sure on this.

After you set static IP's for the computers on your computers network (after disabling the DHCP), set the default gateway to the IP of your modem, and the DNS server to the IP of your modem as well (default for Alcatel is 10.0.0.13. If you can't resolve hostnames, than go back to DHCP with both the modem and NIC, and user ipconfig /all to get the IP's of you primary and secondary DNS servers and set them in the NIC configuration.

Can you show an example because i dont know what is Static Ip or external ... can you explain it in the simpliest way there is ?

Comment

Hi Shai.
          Well a Static IP in opposition to a dynamic IP is an IP that you set by your own.
          If you're working with an Alcatel modem that has been described in the above posts (upgraded to Pro - connecting via PPP and working with DHCP) than do the following:

1. Open the start Menu --> Settings --> Network connections --> Double click on the your network connection to the internet. In the support tab you will be able ot see 3 parameters:
          Your IP (as assigned by the modem's DHCP), the subnet and your default gateway (this is the modem's IP). Write all these down.

2. Open a command line (run 'cmd') and type 'ipconfig /all'.
          You'll get some information about your connection, and the 2 lines in the bottom represents the Primary and Secondary DNS servers your ISP uses (DNS servers are servres that hold information of domain names and their IP's - if making it simple ). Write both of those down to.

3. After you've copied all of this, open your modem interface by inserting it's IP (default is 10.0.0.13 in the address bar in Internet Explorer. I don't use an Alcatel modem at home so I don't really remmeber by heart where exactly you turn the DHCP option off, but with a bit of exploration you'll find it.

4. After you've turned the DHCP off open your network connection again (like in step 1) and press the properties button. Double-Click 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and fill- in the information you've written down (it had some use in the end...).

5. Thats it, now you're working with a static IP on your computer. Do this to all the computers connected to your modem, and open the requested ports by any program, and there you go... (BTW, notice that in some programs - eMule for instance - you can actually change the port it uses in case you "run out of ports" )

Comment

Ok first off thank you very much for this explanation i belive ive done everything right.

I can open the ports with NAT command that daniel explained in his article right?

Comment

Hey i succeeded !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no more low id !!!!

thx lskyw.

btw i also forwarded ports through the windows xp firewall at first i only forwarded it through nat but it didnt work :\

Oh well guess black string on eyes days are over :P

Comment

Working...
              X