Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alcatel speed touch pro (upgraded) + linksys FON router

Hi all!
    I searched on Google and on this forum before posting.
    First i would like to thank Daniel Petri because i finally managed to get an alcatel speed touch to work by upgrading it to a pro as detailed here: http://www.petri.com/upgrade_from_home_to_pro.htm
    now it works very well and my computer is connected to it (with adsl PPPoA)
    i purchased two weeks ago a FON router (linksys wrt54gl) to share my bandwith.
    i have tried following this procedure: http://www.petri.com/configure_alcat...p_spoofing.htm
    to connect linksys to alcatel but could not get it to work, any clues why?
    (when i rebbot lynksys it tells me it has correct static ip)
    i want to try this procedure:
    http://www.petri.com/configure_alcat...ent_bridge.htm
    but i dont know what settings may have to be changed as i will be connectig not thru PPPoE but thru PPPoA and my linksys-fon router only support PPPoE.
    Will the dialer of linksys work? it is the same?
    also wondering what is the problem with double nat?
    thanks a lot for your help

Re: alcatel speed touch pro (upgraded) + linksys FON router

The Alcatel is the modem and it will be "connecting" to your ISP in Bridge Mode. The Linksys will be Authenticating (your username & password) with the ISP.

So, set the Alcatel to Bridge Mode. Connect Alcatel to WAN port on Linksys with ethernet cable. Enter your ISP authentication details into the Linksys.

If the Alcatel is in Bridge Mode, there should be no double NAT. In bridge mode it is just a modem, you know, just like it was when it was a Home version and it didn't route. All it is doing is demodulating the signal from your ISP and the Linksys authenticates and NATs it. The Alcatel does NOT receive an IP from the ISP but it is given to the WAN port on the Linksys. The WAN port then NATs it to the LAN ports and wireless.

Now does that make sense or are you now as confused as me?

I have done this with an Alcatel Pro (real one, not an upgraded Home) and I found it a pain to use. Also means you have another point of failure and another power adapter running on yet another power strip (board).
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

how about PPPoE Vs. PPPoA issue? (see my first post)

Comment

I believe there is an option that can get around this. Can't remember the details but I would talk to your ISP first and see what they say.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Forget about my ISP helping me sharing my bandwith, it is the last thing they want to here about!

Comment

Sharing bandwidth.......No!! You are trying to get the wireless device working to connect to your wireless laptop to assist you with your important study <insert subject here>.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X