Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASDM missing menu items

This one is aimed at auglan!

Using an ASA 5520 v8.2(5), ASDM v6.4(5). Everything appears to be working with the box, it's the ASDM interface that's lacking.

The option to add Service Objects is missing. I can add Service Groups, and select/create new objects from inside that dialog, but there's no option in the 'Add+' dialog to select for adding only new objects, to be added into new or existing groups later.

Ever see or hear of this failing? Searches have come up dry, so far.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Re: ASDM missing menu items

Hi,

ASDM is very depends on Java version. You need to try to uninstall your current Java and install with lower version one. For example, I use the 7.0.90.5, also listed as version 1.7.0.10 and it seems to working fine with my version of ASDM v6.45

Let me know if it helped.

Comment

The system we're running on has an even older version of Java (1.6 release 29 or 31) installed, due to a 3rd-party application that we're mandated to have.

If that's too old, then we'll have to figure something else out. I'm at home right now, will try tomorrow.
      *RicklesP*

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Hey Rickles,

Did you have a chance to try it? It is interesting to know if it helped, and if not, did you find the solution?

Thanks!

Comment

To be honest, no I haven't. Between all the other 'fun' I've been having with our new environment, the 1 missing menu item in the ASDM window was so far below the radar it vanished. I am embarrassed to admit that I'd completely forgotten about that.

I'm going blind trying to read manuals or the web to find answers to my questions, but am coming up with questions faster than I can absorb anything I find! And our delivery schedule doesn't allow for our taking the time to really get a handle on the foibles of the newer gen of server OS, and all of MS's better ideas. The Cisco ASA is working with 3 separate legs right now, so until I have to make any changes for our DMZ leg regarding introduction of new services (like Exchange Edge Transport), I'm leaving that issue alone.

"Shoot me now."
          *RicklesP*

Comment

And the hits just keep on comin'! I removed Java v1.6_31 and installed v1.710_10, adn broke ASDM. Java keeps throwing an exception right after I click OK to pass the credentials just entered. Uninstalled the current ASDM and tried again. Reinstalling the ASDM launcher to the PC doesn't help, same exception thrown.

Just running the ASDM from the web interface of the ASA gave me a security warning for an unsafe version of Java, but ultimately opened the window. And the missing items are still missing.

I'm going back to the older version until something major breaks & I have no choice but to spend time on it.
            *RicklesP*

Comment

Working...
            X