Lost ISP password.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost ISP password.

I have taken over the IT Manager position from the previous guy who left disgruntled. I do not know the password to our ISP internet account but I do have a print out of the Cisco settings. Is it possible to decode the password from the encrypted password listed in the settings?

I can change the password via the ISP, but that means 4 routers are going to go offline. I know it can be done this way and will be a slight inconvenience to all offices but it would be really cool to get the password from the settings.

The routers are Cisco 1700 and Cisco 827. What do you think?

PS. I don't have the software which you use to get into the router's settings. The web interface has been turned off. Can I download the software from anywhere?

Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Lost ISP password.

Why not just contact the ISP and ask for it to be reset. Then reset it on the router.

Comment

Yes I know, but I'd rather not have to reset all the routers around Australia if I can decifer the password from the print out of the settings!
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

GOOGLE Have a look at what the search phrase was. Simple eh!
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHHA I'm wrapped! Thanks Biggles77, I got all my ISP passwords back. Way too cool and simple, just like you said.

Thanks again!
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

One more tiny thing.......we usually use a 3rd party to reprogram our Cisco routers. I want to do it myself now, but the web interface is not enabled.

I know you can get software to program the Cisco 1700 & 827, but where do I download it from?
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            |

Comment

I'm (definitely) not a Cisco expert but I presume there is a command-line tool (use Hyperterminal or DOS prompt to connect) that will allow you to enable the web interface.

Have you tried googling for other tools, also have you checked your stash of installation CDs etc for anything from Cisco?

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've seen a tool which someone wrote once for a domestic router/modem and was hoping someone knew of a similar app for Cisco routers. Failing that, I've already started Telnetting to my routers...thanks.
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                |

Comment

Hi JDMils,

Thanks for the post.

There are a lot of tools out on the Internet to decode type 7 Cisco passwords. On the other hand, type 5 passwords cannot be decoded (at least in my experience. I have never seen any tool or post on how to do so).

When you are talking about the ISP password, I assume this is a PPP password. If so, that is the case, then it should be a type 7 encoded password. This is very easy to decode.

Here is a tool from Boson-
                  http://bosondownload.com/utils/bos_pass.exe

Here are some websites HTML versions of the tool so you have no installation-
                  http://www.securitystats.com/tools/ciscocrack.php
                  http://www2.tongzweb.com/tools/cisco.asp

Let us know if it works for you & thanks for posting!

David
                  David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
                  Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
                  TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
                  Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Thanks David. I used Biggles77's Google string and used Boson GetPass to decode the password. Thanks for your reply too!
                    |
                    +-- JDMils
                    |
                    |

Comment

Working...
                    X