Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco Router Recommendations

Hi David,

What do you recommend as an easy to configure/use Cisco router. The ability to handle multiple IPs would be desirable but not essential. It will be used for ADSL and VoIP. I am getting lost in the multitude of Cisco devices and now need an experts opinion.

Thanks.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Cisco Router Recommendations

Hi Biggles,

Thanks for your post and thanks for looking to me as your "expert".

Because all the Cisco routers now have IOS and SDM, the degree of difficulty in configuring them is really all the same. If you want to use GUI you can use SDM for most things. On the other hand, the IOS can do everything.

In my experience, I would not integrate the ADSL modem into the router. The adaptor for Cisco router is just too expensive compared to an external ADSL modem.

If you are buying new, I would recommend one of these two lines:
    Cisco 800 Series - http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/r...380/index.html
    Cisco 1800 Series - http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/index.html

On the other hand, you could buy a 1600, 1700, or 2600 series router used for much much less. Those are end of life (discontinued models) but the functionality is really about the same. By going with an older model, you may not be able to upgrade it to the latest IOS but it will run relatively new versions that have, most likely, more features than anyone could ever use. For example, I saw a 2610 on ebay the other day for about $80. You may need to upgrade the RAM and flash to get it to run a more recent IOS. No matter the cost for that, it will still be much less than the Cisco 2811 that I bought recently for $5000 (obviously a 2811 is a higher level router than the 800 or 1800 series routers I provided links to above).

All of these routers would support multiple IP's. I assume that the DSL and VoIP would just be external to the router as I am picturing a home or small business network. If, however, you are talking about something larger (like you want the router to act as a VoIP call manager) then we would be taking a different path.

I hope that helps! Let me know your thoughts and I would like to eventually hear what you get.

-David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Hi Biggles,
      I was thinking about what you said "ability to handle multiple IPs". I was wondering if you could elaborate on that. Do you have two LAN's that you need to connect?
      Thanks & have a great day!
      David

Comment

David, thanks for the above info, it is appreciated as I was getting lost in the C of Cisco.
        The multiple IP was more for Public IPs (like multiple web site) and not for connecting sites. It was just an option I wanted to present the client.
        Now I have to get my hands on an 800 Series and have a play.

(Couldn't lend me a couple of weeks could you? I'm just running out of time at the moment.)
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

We are getting ready to re-engineer an existing company that has ADSL through a little Linksys router. I want incorporate a 2600 series router in its place so I can split the network. For the cable coming from the external ADSL modem to the 2600 series, do I just need an Ethernet port? ....and then program my ISPs static IP to that port?

Thank you,

marc
          Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Hi Marc,

I am assuming that the 2600 is just there to be a local router, so to speak?

Does it have any function other than just passing traffic from the linksys to the LAN and back?

What I have done for locations that have a DSL modem is to buy a firewall like a PIX/ASA, Fortinet, or Sonicwall. Those would have at least 2 ethernet ports - an inside and an outside. The outside would go to the DSL modem and the inside would go to the LAN. the firewall would perform stateful traffic inspection, IDS/IPS, and, many times, VPN.

A 2611 (with 2 ethernet ports) and the IPSEC/FW IOS could do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by daviddavis View Post
              Hi Marc,

I am assuming that the 2600 is just there to be a local router, so to speak?

Does it have any function other than just passing traffic from the linksys to the LAN and back?

What I have done for locations that have a DSL modem is to buy a firewall like a PIX/ASA, Fortinet, or Sonicwall. Those would have at least 2 ethernet ports - an inside and an outside. The outside would go to the DSL modem and the inside would go to the LAN. the firewall would perform stateful traffic inspection, IDS/IPS, and, many times, VPN.

A 2611 (with 2 ethernet ports) and the IPSEC/FW IOS could do the same thing.

Thank you for the fast reply. It is going to be their main router. We are not ready to implement a firewall because this is only a temporary deployement until we can move the company into our facilities. I am hoping to take the linksys router out of the mix and put an Ethernet Module into the 2600 to handle the modem.

Is that viable?
              Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Okay, I understand.

So, for the Cisco to be the router, it has to have two interfaces (networks) to route between -
                1 - LAN
                1 - DSL

With that, you could either get a Cisco router with 2 Ethernet ports, get a Cisco router with 1 ethernet port and add another one, or get a DSL module for the Cisco router with 1 ethernet port (i wouldn't recommend).

I hope that helps!

David

Comment

Originally posted by daviddavis View Post
                  Okay, I understand.

So, for the Cisco to be the router, it has to have two interfaces (networks) to route between -
                  1 - LAN
                  1 - DSL

With that, you could either get a Cisco router with 2 Ethernet ports, get a Cisco router with 1 ethernet port and add another one, or get a DSL module for the Cisco router with 1 ethernet port (i wouldn't recommend).

I hope that helps!

David
                  Correct, actually, I am splitting the network so I will be using both integrated Ethernet ports and adding an Ethernet Module.

I guess my next question is how easy it is to configure the port, just assign external IP and I am done, basically, right? I will of course have some nat statements and stuff...
                  Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Hi Marc,

minimum
                    - IP addressing
                    - static routes

would be nice
                    - ACLs & security features

for Internet
                    - firewall features
                    - perhaps routing protocols & VPN ??

Comment

NEW INFORMATION:

the company I want to swap out the router at, has a dynamic IP. Is it possible to use my 2621 and set up the WAN interface for ISP controlled dynamic IP?
                      Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Please see this article on Configuring DDNS with the Cisco IOS

Comment

Great article David. I see that it is possible now, but can you write access lists or NAT while set up for DDNS?
                          Thank you,

Marc

Comment

If I recall, you can NAT on the interface, not on the IP but I can't picture how you would do the ACLs. You could use CBAC which is just stateful packet filtering and I believe that would work.

Comment

Working...
                            X