No announcement yet.

VLAN Examples

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLAN Examples

I've been tasked with setting up (3) VLANs which need to allow access for certain people to resouces on all (3) VLANs.

So far I have a test using (2) VLANs and I'm just about to add a lolipop router but I saw something about overlapping VLANs and I wondered if anyone had experiance using this and / or examples?

Re: VLAN Examples

Hi Rmulders,

Thanks for the post!

There should be no issue with adding multiple VLAN's. I have a switch here and can make 20+ VLANs without issue. If you have a Layer 3 switch, the switch can perform the trunking to connect the VLAN's. If you have a regular layer 2 switch, you would have a router running trunking on an interface to connect the VLAN's. The VLAN's should be all on different subnets. You would have to select a trunk protocol- either Cisco's ISL or IEEE 802.1q.

I did write this article about L3 Switches and VLAN's. Perhaps it would help-

Also, here is Cisco's LAN Switching site:

Let me know what you are trying to do and I would be glad to assist any way I can!

Last edited by daviddavis; 1st August 2006, 22:27.
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: &