X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im just about to upgrade my switches, Im looking 4 suggestions

hi..'

I have 160 users, 98, xp
    most ov' them using the internet for email, reading and such.
    my network in 10 now and im thinking of upgarde it to optical backbone-1000
    and 10/100 for the ather ports.

My Q: what kind of hardware you suggeste me to bay?
    cisco is very much expesiv so what about norten, locant, 3com, tredbet, planet....
    do you think i nead manegd switch or not?
    it will ne helpfull to giv me model you suggeste.

thanx alot!

Re: Im just about to upgrade my switches, Im looking 4 suggestions

I don't know enough about advising in switches. But i can advise, take a managble switch.

Personally i would choose to go for Cisco. Into my experience i've seen al my former customers switching from the cheaper switches to the Cisco, and they never ever want something else after then.

But i can't see you're budget, i can't see you're how many hosts you got (i don't care about users, i care about printers/computers/notebooks/servers and all other stuff which is connected or should be connected).
    And how many hosts do you expect in the next 1-5 years?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

first... thanx for the fast answer!

well my budget is yet to be known, but i dont think cisco will get into that. its just to expensiv.

host:
      1. 160 (comps=users) not all working at once. about 90-110 at picks.
      2. 10 shared printers, all ather printes are local.
      3. i have 2 servers, first one is win2k> file, exch, dns, win, dhcp. and the second one is smoothwall fw witch is comp/router of the network
      4. i have 3 notebooks but no wifi at this time.

- my network is spred over severl buildings and at any given section there no more then 12 hosts conected.

nothing big will be change in the next 5 years for sure!

* what is the next best thing after cisco? (firme-model..etc)
      * and what cisco model will be good for my kind of network?

Comment

I have used Gigabit Linksys (part managed) switches. Being owned by Cisco I figure they must have some of their expertise inserted into them somewhere.
        3Com but they ain't that cheap either.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

i hear from meny ppl this days that "3com"... " is not what it use to be!"
          can any one confirm or deny that? from expirens.

what about "nortel"? is it medium or a high Quality company?

Comment

I have personally had a bad time with 3Com but it was with an older model. I have a collegue who has had no problems with 3Com and buys nothing else. I guess it is like everything, you can get a bad batch and you will have problems. Mostly though it should be ok.

Nortel Reviews. Sorry, you can do the reading.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Personally i suggest to find how many budget you got.
              The Switches are the core of you're network. Bad/slow switches will bring any performance down on you're complete network.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

I know that Cisco costs more but, believe me, it is worth it (in my experience at least). If it isn't in your budget right now, consider these options:
                1. upgrade one switch at a time. Cisco 2950's have 24 ports of 10/100 and 2 1000Mb uplinks. They run for about $600 each. Perhaps you could buy one per month or every other month until the project is done.
                2. Buy used Cisco. This is how my company was able to afford Cisco. We bought refurbished equipment, equipment from used Cisco dealers, and from ebay. We uprgaded a 70 location WAN with 70 used routers and switches. The Cisco equipment is bulletproof and lasts for 10 years. Now that we have all Cisco, when one breaks we can afford to buy a new one because we are buying them one at a time. We didn't even get smartnet maintenance on any of them because the maint. was more than we originally paid for them. At that time, a Cisco 2610 router was going for $2500 new. We paid $600 used.
                3. Lease it

I would always get managed. You should be able to put Cisco 2950's at the access edge and bring them back to a core GB switch.

If you have any other questions, as always, feel free to post!

Thanks
                David
                David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
                Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
                TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
                Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

David,

Can you make the lettersize somewhat smaller
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands

Comment

Marcel, I think David firmly believes in what he is posting and wants you to know it!!

David, while I agree the 2950 is a very nice switch :drool: it still only provides a 100 megabit link to the workstation. Do you consider this to be sufficient considering the switch will have at least a 10 year life?

Mindfields not hijacking your thread, just getting you additional information (and me too )
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi "Dumber", Sorry if my font was overwhelming large font. I'll see what I can do about that.

Hi Biggles, while it hard to predict if any network equipment will last 10 years. I estimate that the 100Mb 2950 would work for 10 years. I know I am installing them in my company and expecting them to work that long. I wouldn't put anything but 1GB Ethernet on the servers but on the workstations, 100Mb is just fine. If they are accessing the Internet I certainly don't have anything close to that bandwidth to the Internet (I have a 3Mb and 6Mb doing BGP routing). And the server apps aren't pushing out more than 100Mb to the workstations, in my unscientific experience.

We are just now replacing the Dell 10/100 switches we have out there. Those have been there for 6 years. The only reason we are slowly replacing them is that we want better management & troubleshooting features and a Cisco name on them. Otherwise, the Dells work fine too. So, in the words of the people who sell stocks "past performance may not indicate future results". However, in this case, there is no reason to believe that it won't either.

Thanks to all who posted! Anyone else care to chime in?

-David
                      (now using a smaller font)

Comment

'Ding dong'

The reason for my query was 100 megabit is just a bit slow for transfering large media files. I have one site where for some unknown reason they want to backup a 13GB (present size) file from the server to workstation and then to a USB drive. 100 megabit don't cut the mustard and I can only see it taking longer and longer. I know a primary (Grade) school that just spent AUD$40,000 putting in Cisco gigabit switches because 100 was presently adequate but not for long. Depending on switch management requirements, would it be better going for a cheaper gigabit as opposed to the cheaper (but slower) megabit item?
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Biggles,

Wow, a 13GB file that a user wants to backup to a USB drive. As always, the need for speed depends on the application and the environment. In my case, I would tell the user that they are nuts and that all data needs to be stored on servers where it is already properly backedup. I would then confiscate their USB drive and keep it myself (smile).

So, that is a good question to ask this gentleman- what are the applications running on the LAN and how those apps use the bandwidth.

I suppose you have to get the bandwidth you need within your budget. I would do everything possible to find some way to get the Cisco gear but, if I had to, I would use other brands to get the bandwidth I had to have.

-David

Comment

Working...
                          X